Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Scott Glennie scored the game-winning goal at the 2:50 mark of the overtime period as the Texas Stars defeated the Oklahoma City Barons 4-3 Friday evening at Cedar Park Center.
Oklahoma City goaltender Richard Bachman made the initial save on the shot by Dustin Jeffrey but the puck was batted in off Glennie to secure the 4-3 win.
C.J. Stretch opened the scoring at the 7:06 mark of the first period. Stretch got Stars goaltender Christopher Nilstorp to commit low and pushed the rolling puck past him on the backhand to give Oklahoma City a 1-0 lead. Austin Fyten earned the primary assist on the goal after making the pass to Stretch.
Texas tied the game as Glennie got a power-play goal to pull the Stars even at 10:11. Oklahoma City led in shots 16-11 at the end of the first period.
The Barons regained the lead midway through the second as Matt Ford took advantage of a Texas miscue. Cameron Gaunce and Jamie Oleksiak almost collided behind the net, giving up the puck to Ford who tucked it behind Nilstorp to put Oklahoma City in front 2-1 at 10:39.
Jeffrey evened the score at 2-2 at 14:57 while the Stars were on the power play.
Alex Lavoie scored his first career AHL goal 52 seconds later at 15:49 to push the Barons back in front 3-2. The teams were even in shots with 12 each in the period. The Barons led in overall shots 28-23 after 40 minutes of play.
Brett Ritchie tied the game for a third time at the 9:14 mark of the third period. He beat Bachman with a backhander on the glove side. Shots were 15-8 in the period in favor of the Stars.
Texas ended the game with the edge in shots, 42-37.
The two teams meet again Saturday evening at 7 p.m. CT. The game airs locally in Oklahoma City on 96.1 FM KXY.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Barons Stories
- Energy FC Hosts Second Sidekicks Event on Wednesday Evening
- Chris Spendlove Cleared
- Energy FC and The Grid Meet to Discuss Continued Growth of Soccer in OKC
- Energy FC Sidekicks Program with Special Olympics and TOPSoccer Kicks off July 15
- Barons Season Ends with 1-0 Loss