Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Grand Rapids Griffins fought back from a two-goal deficit to overcome the Iowa Wild, 3-2, with a three-goal second period Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.
It was the Griffins' second win in as many days against the Wild, also earning them the season sweep on the road. The win improved Grand Rapids to 11-1-0-1 in its last 13 games, including 7-0-0-1 away from home.
The Griffins will continue their season-high seven-game road trip Sunday at 4 p.m. EDT against Midwest Division foe Chicago Wolves.
After Iowa scored its only goal in Friday's game during a power play, its special team unit found success again Saturday 4:40 into the first period when Triston Grant was whistled for roughing. Stephane Veilleux put the puck into the danger zone in front of Petr Mrazek and Carson McMillan beat Mrazek to the puck, poking it past him.
The Wild doubled their lead at 9:39 during four-on-four play when Kris Foucault dove at a loose rebound and popped the puck over Mrazek's left pad.
Ryan Sproul put Grand Rapids on the board when he snapped a wrister from the blue line at 3:26 of the second period. His shot made its way through bodies and sailed past John Curry to pull the Griffins within one.
Grand Rapids received more than a minute of five-on-three play after Kyle Medvec was whistled for slashing at 9:50 and Tyler Cuma was caught cross-checking at 10:35. During the two-man advantage, Nathan Paetsch blasted a rocket from the middle of the ice at 11:25 for the equalizer.
Less than two minutes later, Mitch Callahan garnered his sixth point in four games with a goal at 12:41. A tight angle shot by Andrej Nestrasil rebounded off Curry, and Callahan quickly found an open lane inside the far post. Nestrasil's assists on Callahan's and Sproul's goals also earned him his sixth point in the last four games.
In the final period of play, the Griffins held the Wild to two shots.
Mrazek's 16 saves earned him his eighth straight win for Grand Rapids, while Curry turned away 28 of 31 shots in the loss.
Three Stars: 1. GR Sproul (goal, assist); 2. GR Callahan (game-winning goal); 3. IA Foucault (goal, assist)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Detroit Signs Evgeny Svechnikov to One-Year Extension
- Larry Figurski Wins AHL's James H. Ellery Memorial Award for Outstanding Media Coverage
- Griffins' "Put a Lid on It!" Program to Offer Drive-Thru Bike Helmet Distributions
- Griffins Youth Hockey Camp Postponed
- Griffins and Versiti Blood Center to Hold Blood Drive at Van Andel Arena Next Friday, June 26