Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids
PORTLAND, Ore. - Playing down a man for the final 48 minutes, the Portland Timbers battled to earn a point against the Colorado Rapids tonight at Providence Park, 2-2. Undefeated in their last four matches, the Timbers leveled the game in stoppage time when midfielder Sebastián Blanco found a loose ball in the box to secure the second goal for Portland. Forward Felipe Mora opened the scoring for the Timbers in the 67th minute when he headed the ball into the net.
Blanco is Back
Blanco scored his third goal of the 2021 campaign tonight, two of which have been at Providence Park. Blanco's stout performances as a starter in the last five matches have seen him earn three goals and an assist for the Timbers, helping the club earn 10 points (3-1-1). Notably, Blanco has recorded a goal and an assist in an MLS regular season match for the seventh time in his career with the club. Successful against Colorado, Blanco has tallied three goals and six assists in seven matches played against the Rapids.
More Goals for Mora
Mora became the club's seventh player to score 10 or more goals in an MLS season. In his 2021 regular-season campaign with Portland, Mora has tallied a team-leading 10 goals, recording a new career best. Five of Mora's goals this season have been game-winners. The Santiago, Chile native has started in 15 of 20 appearances and has logged 27 starts in 38 appearances across two seasons for Portland. Mora scored in three of his last four games. Notably, his goal tonight was his sixth with his head, which is the most in MLS this season.
Consecutive Shutout Milestones
After the halftime mark in tonight's match, the Timbers recorded a new consecutive shutout minute record of 395 since Aug. 21 (Austin FC). Portland recorded three straight shutout wins on the road for the first time in the club's MLS history with its win against Vancouver (Sept. 10). Additionally, Portland recorded three consecutive shutouts in MLS regular season play since 2018 (April 22-May 13) for the first time after three consecutive shutout victories on the road (Seattle, Houston, Vancouver).
POR - Felipe Mora (Sebastián Blanco, Dario Zuparic), 67th minute: Blanco stepped up to serve the ball into the box through a set piece. Zuparic found the ball in the left edge of the six-yard box, making a pass to Mora who headed the ball into the net from the right side of the goal.
POR - Sebastián Blanco, 90+1: Through a breakaway run on the left wing, Dairon Asprilla dribbled the ball into the left edge of the box and crossed a ball that deflected on Rapids defender Lalas Ubabakar. Blanco, who was inside the six-yard box, scored the goal with a first-touch.
The Timbers are undefeated in their last four matches (3-0-1), improving their overall record in the 2021 campaign to 10-10-4.
Portland improved its home record in the 2021 regular-season campaign tonight to 6-3-2 and is 4-1-2 its last seven home games.
The Timbers have scored a goal in 14 consecutive matches this season.
Eight of the Timbers' goals his season have been in stoppage time (3 in first half, 5 in second half).
Portland recorded a new consecutive shutout minute record of 395 dating back to Aug. 21 against Austin FC.
Felipe Mora scored his team-leading 10th goal of the season tonight, recording a new career best. Six of his 10 goals scored were at Providence Park.
Mora is in a three-way tie for eighth place for the most goals scored (10) in the league this year.
Five of Mora's goals this season have been game winners.
Mora leads the league with six headed goals in 2021.
Mora has scored eight goals in his last 12 matches.
Sebastián Blanco recorded a goal and an assist in an MLS regular season match for the seventh time in his career with the club.
Blanco scored his third goal of 2021 in tonight's match. He has scored two of his three goals at home.
Blanco has started five matches this season, tallying three goals and one assist in those matches.
Blanco has three goals and six assists in seven games played against Colorado.
Blanco led the team tonight in shots on goal (3) and shots (4).
Dario Zuparic recorded his first career assist with the Timbers.
Zuparic is the 16th different player to record an assist for Portland this season.
Zuparic leads the team in minutes played this season with 3531.
Dairon Asprilla is the only Timbers player to appear in all 24 regular season matches in 2021.
The Timbers will face a short turnaround when they host LAFC for a weekend showdown on Sept. 19 at Providence Park. Sunday's match kicks off at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific) and will feature a national broadcast on FS1 and FOX Deportes with radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (10-10-4, 34pts) vs. Colorado Rapids (12-4-7, 43pts)
Sept. 15, 2021 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Colorado Rapids 0 2 2
Portland Timbers 0 2 2
COL: Lewis (Shinyashiki, Kaye), 64
POR: Mora (Zuparic, Blanco), 67
COL: Barrios (Price), 87
POR: Blanco, 90+1
POR: Blanco (caution), 31
COL: Trusty (caution), 31
POR: Tuiloma (caution), 33
POR: Tuiloma (ejection), 42
COL: Kaye (caution), 66
POR: Paredes (caution), 67
POR: Clark (caution), 82
COL: Abubakar (caution), 88
POR: GK Clark, D Tuiloma, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Paredes (Fochive, 76), M Y. Chara (Van Rankin, 46), M Blanco (McGraw, 90+6), M Asprilla, F Mora (Niezgoda, 90+4)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, M Zambrano, M Loría, M Moreno, M Valeri
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Blanco, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Blanco, 3); FOULS: 11 (Bravo, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 5
COL: GK Yarbrough, D Trusty, D Wilson, D Rosenberry, M Abubakar, M Bassett (Mezquida, 76), M Price, M Kaye (Acosta, 75), F Lewis (Badji, 81), F Shinyashiki (Barrios, 75), F Galván (Esteves, 57)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Irwin, D Moor, D Beitashour, M Warner
TOTAL SHOTS: 24 (Bassett, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Bassett, Shinyashiki, 2); FOULS: 9 (Wilson, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Hanson, Corey Rockwell
Fourth official: Baldomero Toledo
VAR: Jon Freemon
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Portland Timbers Recall Midfielder Blake Bodily from San Diego Loyal
- Timbers Drop 2-1 Result to La Galaxy on the Road
- Timbers Announce Broadcast, Time Change for November 3 Match at Real Salt Lake
- Three Timbers Players Called up for International Duty
- Timbers Shut out Inter Miami Cf in 1-0 Win at Providence Park