Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today the club has signed defender Chase Gasper to a new four-year contract, starting in 2022.
"Arguably, our 2019 draft was as good a draft as anybody has had for years and years. Three guys who we know that can contribute," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "If you look back to when he started for the team, his level of performance has been so consistent. He's been terrific. I always talk about what people put into the football club, he puts something into this football club every single day. Great attitude, great professional, great teammate. We're so pleased that another player, who we consider one of our own, has decided to commit as well."
Since joining Minnesota United as a first-round draft pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft, Gasper has been a mainstay on the Loons' backline. Despite not making his first start until June 2019, he quickly made an impact and was locked in as the go-to starting left back for Adrian Heath. As a Loon, Gasper has contributed to 20 shutouts, including two in the 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs and has scored two goals.
"It means everything for a player that your boss is confident in you," said MNUFC defender Chase Gasper. "[Adrian Heath] has trusted me to play and start most of the games since I've been here. Those are the guys you want to play for. For coaches like that, for teammates like that, and the fans we have, I'm going to do everything I can - like I've done since I've gotten here and for all my time here - give my all on the field. Really happy, excited and proud. I owe thanks to my teammates, my coaches and, especially, the fans. I can't wait for the next four years."
Internationally, Gasper has made two appearances for the U18 U.S. Men's National Team and has been called up to the senior national team twice. He made his senior national team debut on February 1, 2020 in an international friendly against Costa Rica.
Gasper transferred to Maryland after three years at UCLA in order to be closer to his father who was dealing with a health issue. He helped lead the Terrapins to the 2018 NCAA National Championship title. According to his teammate (and college roommate) Dayne St. Clair, Gasper was a rock for the team - the kind of defensive player you always want to have in front of you. The 6-foot, 185 lb Gasper also likes to get forward and help the attack down the left side of the field and was named to the Pacific 12 All-Freshman Second Team in 2014.
Transaction: Minnesota United sign defender Chase Gasper to a four-year contract.
Date of birth: 01.25.1996 (25 years old)
Weight: 185 lbs
Birthplace: Alexandria, Virgina
Citizenship: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.