Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles World Cup Host Committee launched its official bid video today featuring actor Will Ferrell, LA Galaxy & US Soccer legend Cobi Jones and narration by one of history's most iconic broadcasters, Vin Scully. The video showcases major soccer moments over the last four decades that have cemented Los Angeles as one of the nation's great soccer cities. The full video is available on the Los Angeles Sports & Entertainment Commission's YouTube Channel.
"When I think of soccer and L.A., I think of the '94 World Cup™. I think of the Women's World Cup™ in '99. 100,000 screaming fans at the Rose Bowl. I think of all the great players who have come through Los Angeles - Zlatan, Beckham, Landon Donovan, Carlos Vela," said Will Ferrell, Actor and LAFC owner.
"I want my kids to experience what I was able to experience with Olympic soccer here, World Cup™ soccer here," said Cobi Jones, a three-time US Men's World Cup player and Soccer Hall of Fame Inductee. "We are a soccer city. We are L.A. There's no better place in the United States to have World Cup™ matches."
In June, the Los Angeles World Cup Host Committee named LA Galaxy President Chris Klein and LAFC Co-President Larry Freedman as co-chairs of the region's bid to host the FIFA World Cup 2026™. The announcement marked an important step in ramping up the city's efforts to host matches during the FIFA World Cup's™ return to North America.
"Between its legendary soccer history and world-class fans, Los Angeles has truly distinguished itself as America's No. 1 soccer city," said Chris Klein, LA Galaxy President. "Members of our soccer community cheer for teams around the world. That passion and diversity, coupled with our city's elite resources and infrastructure, make Los Angeles an outstanding location for the FIFA World Cup 2026™."
"Los Angeles celebrates the Beautiful Game like no other city in America," said Larry Freedman, LAFC Co-President. "We're excited to have the opportunity to share the magic of L.A.'s soccer culture on the global stage, and to set the standard for World Cup™ host cities, from first kick-off to long after the final whistle."
The Host Committee is a united soccer front established to deliver a once-in-a-generation opportunity for Los Angeles, that will drive lasting social, cultural, and economic impact for the region. The effort is led by the Los Angeles Sports & Entertainment Commission (LASEC) and includes the Los Angeles Rams, SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park, Rose Bowl Stadium, Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) and the LA Galaxy.
A successful bid would add to the Los Angeles region's longstanding reputation as one of the nation's top soccer cities, building on the 1984 Olympic tournament, 1994 FIFA World Cup™ and 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup™ - which collectively remain the largest-attended FIFA World Cup™ events in history.
The FIFA World Cup 2026 ™ will take place across North America, with cities in Canada, Mexico and U.S. all set to host matches. L.A. is bidding for the opportunity to host multiple matches, a fan festival, and other ancillary events. FIFA is expected to finalize the 16 host cities from the proposed slate of 22 candidates by early 2022. The U.S. has proposed 17 candidate host cities, and 11 of these destinations are expected to be selected in the final round.
For more information on L.A.'s bid to host the FIFA World Cup 2026™, please visit www.LASEC.net/los-angeles-2026.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese Departs Club for Position with Feyenoord
- Los Angeles Officially Welcomes FIFA Delegation in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™
- LA Galaxy to Host New York City FC in 2022 MLS Regular Season Home Opener at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday, February 27
- LA Galaxy to Play Charlotte FC in Its Inaugural Home Match at Bank of America Stadium on March 5, 2022
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo and Forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez Named 2021 MLS Year-End Awards Finalists