Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest
Jonathan Lewis and Michael Barrios scored to lead the Colorado Rapids (12-4-7, 43 points) to a 2-2 draw against the Portland Timbers (10-10-4, 34 points) on Wednesday at Providence Park. Lewis' goal was his third of the season, all in the last six games, while Barrios extended his team lead with his seventh goal of 2021. The draw extends the Rapids' unbeaten streak to nine games and their road unbeaten streak to six games, tying a club record set in 2016.
Michael Barrios' seventh goal of the season marks his highest total since he scored nine in 2016.
Jonathan Lewis goal has now recorded three goals and an assist in his last six games with his goal tonight.
Colorado's nine-game unbeaten run is the longest active streak in MLS and the Rapids' longest in two years under Robin Fraser.
Jack Price made his 90th regular season start with the club. Price earned his team-leading eighth assist of the season on Michael Barrios' goal in the 87th minute.Â
Andre Shinyashiki picked up his second assist of the season on Jonathan Lewis' goal in the 64th minute. It is the second consecutive match with an assist. Mark-Anthony Kaye earned his second assist with the club on Lewis' goal.Â
The Rapids extend their road unbeaten streak to six games, tying a club record set from April to July of 2016.
Quotes: Head Coach Robin Fraser
On tonight's match:
"I just think that we're a young team that is learning and making our way through the league. Certainly making strides going forward, but we just appear to be a little bit naïve tonight in a couple of situations, and certainly, it's a disappointing draw given how long we were a man up and the fact that we were leading twice. But again, it's one of these things that is another teaching and another learning experience and we just need to be better in closing out games."Â
On Braian Galvan's performance:
"Braian has been really a revelation as a wingback. His conversion to his understanding of the position, what he gives us defensively, what he gives us offensively, seems to be getting better every week. His understanding of the position, his understanding of what his capabilities are and how to create chances and how to eliminate players, and things along those lines, he's just getting better week by week."
Quotes: Forward Jonathan Lewis
On tonight's match:
"A good, hard-fought match, but I think for us it's a disappointment. They went down to ten men early, [we] put a lot of pressure on them, myself included, and I should've finished the first two chances that I had, so it's just a disappointment in general because we go up twice in the game and we let them come back. So I think for us, it's lessons that we learn and we have to just move forward with it and next time we just have to know we can't let that happen again."
On his goal:
"Something that we spoke about was just winning individual battles and I think finally I was able to get position on the center back to set the ball and Mark [Anthony Kaye] I think played Andre [Shinyashiki] and Andre just set it perfectly and I just read the play. I saw that it was going to fall to me and then I took the touch to beat the guy and I was able to score. Obviously, I was happy about that, but the most important thing is the result, and I think, again, it's a disappointment. It doesn't matter if I score, assist, play zero minutes-I want to win. That's the spirit of the team, so I think as a whole, we're just disappointed."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Fall to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Thanksgiving Day Semifinal Playoff Match
- Rapids Take National Stage for First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Audi MLS Cup Playoff Game
- Inside the Numbers: a Closer Look at the Matchup Between Colorado and Portland
- Colorado Rapids Announce Tipico Sportsbook as the Official Presenting Sponsor of the Club's 2021 Playoffs Run
- Denver Shows Support of Colorado Rapids Ahead of Thanksgiving Day Western Conference Semifinal