D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25
September 16, 2021 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - D.C. United forward Ola Kamara has been voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 25 of the 2021 MLS season.
Kamara scored all three of United's goals in a 3-0 win against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field on Wednesday evening, extending the club's undefeated streak to three games and maintaining their position above the qualification line for the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Kamara now has 16 goals for the season, taking over the lead in the standings for the MLS Golden Boot presented by Audi, passing Raúl Ruidíaz of Seattle Sounders FC. The hat trick was the second of Kamara's career, his first coming in his sixth-ever MLS appearance for the Columbus Crew on May 28, 2016. Kamara has scored five goals over United's three-game undefeated run, and is also tied for the league lead with six game-winning goals.
Kamara gave United a two-goal lead early on, converting a pair of penalty kicks, one in the ninth minute and one in the 35th minute. Kamara became the eighth player in MLS history to score two penalty kicks in one game, and now has seven goals from penalty kicks this season.
The Norway international then completed his hat trick in the 44th minute, heading home a cross from Julian Gressel from the right flank to complete United's victory.
Kamara and D.C. United put their undefeated run on the line on Saturday afternoon, Sept. 18, when they travel to face Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (3:30 p.m. ET, Univision / TUDN).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.