Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, met the Grand Rapid's Griffins for the final time this season as they fight for the final playoff spot in the tight Central Division race. The Stars dominant play through two periods was not enough to take the victory, as the Griffins completed a comeback for a 3-2 final decision.
The first period was dominated by Texas as they held Grand Rapids to only three shots on goal and fired 10 shots on Griffin's netminder Harri Sateri. Texas had a several good looks in front including a pair of opportunities by Michael Mersch but Sateri held him off the board. The Stars earned a pair of power plays in the period, but failed to open the scoring against the Griffins.
The Stars came into the second period ready to open scoring, and Joel Hanley did just that. Adam Mascherin carried the puck into the zone alongside Hanley on a 2-on-1. The blueliner received a cross ice pass from Mascherin and blasted a shot from the right circle over the left hand of Sateri. Grand Rapids felt a sense of urgency following the Stars goal and after a chance from Ty Dellandrea broke down the ice to even the game. Dominic Turgeon found the back of the net on a deflection for Grand Rapids at 12:11 evening the score at one a piece.
Fireworks ensued at the end of the second period as a scrum broke out in the Stars defensive corner. Penalties were handed out during the intermission and the Stars would benefit from a power play at the start of the third period. Texas finished the night with four power play chances in a physical, playoff style matchup, but failed to score.
The Stars generated momentum off that power play and seconds after its conclusion, Nicholas Caamano found the back of the net to give his team a 2-1 lead. Dillon Heatherington took a shot from the left circle that rebounded off the pad of Sateri and onto Caamano's stick. He lifted a shot over the goaltender's glove for his 10th goal of the season.
The Stars were burned as Dellandrea was called for interference in the latter half of the period, and Carter Camper got the game-tying goal past Landon Bow. The Griffins converted on 1-of-2 chances on the man advantage in the game, with both opportunities coming in the final period.
About four minutes later, Dominik Shine tallied the deciding goal, and concluded scoring on the eventual 3-2 decision. Texas fought for the equalizer until the very last second with Bow on the bench, but Sateri stood strong through immense pressure to sneak out of the game with a win.
Bow stopped 20-of-23 shots he faced but would suffer the loss after a pair of late Griffins goals.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
Dominik Shine (GR)
Harri Sateri (GR)
Nicholas Caamano (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and continue their home stand on Wednesday, March 27 at 7:00 p.m. facing the Manitoba Moose. Ticket packages for the 2019-20 campaign are on sale now. For more information or to renew your seats, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visitTexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.