Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (28-26-8-5) fell victim to a comeback by the visiting Laval Rocket (28-27-6-6) in a 3-2 overtime defeat on Saturday night before a sellout crowd of 6,793 inside the MassMutual Center.
Penalties ruled the first period of play as the two clubs combined for eight minors and 16 penalty minutes. Springfield took advantage of one of Laval's five infractions via a 5-on-3 advantage.
After Daniel Audette cleared a puck out of play to put his team down a man, Nikita Jevpalovs intercepted a puck in center ice and appeared to be ready to move down the ice for a shorthanded breakaway. Inexplicably, the Rocket winger closed his hand on the puck and carried it for a couple of strides, resulting in a third separate delay-of-game minor on Laval in the opening 20 minutes.
With that gift of a two-man advantage, Julian Melchiori loaded up a one-time cannon from the right wing circle and slammed a Harry Zolnierczyk pass over the stick hand of Michael McNiven to make it 1-0.
Springfield held the 8-7 shot edge through 20 minutes, but McNiven was very stable despite the low shot total against him. His best work in the first was a left-pad lurching save on a Jonathan Ang shorthanded breakaway chance in the opening half of the frame.
At the other end, Alex Sakellaropoulous made his second career AHL start and did not have many challenges in the opening period, denying all seven attempts against him.
After another penalty kill to begin the second, Springfield went back on the offensive, and Jean-Sebastien Dea whistled a wrist shot over McNiven to make it 2-0 less than two minutes into the second.
That 2-0 score would remain until the final minutes of the period. With Springfield on the power play, the Rocket picked up their 13th shorthanded goal of the season as Jevpalovs danced to the slot and beat Sakellaropoulous on the stick side at 18:04.
Springfield could not escape the period unscathed in the closing seconds, and Alex Belzile spotted Cale Fleury moving up from the right point. From the right wing circle, Fleury beat Sakellaropoulous on a perfect wrist shot to bring the game to a 2-2 tie heading into the third.
A tense and tentative third period went scoreless, with both teams leaving a glorious opportunity on the table to break the tie. Alexandre Alain missed a backhander into a wide-open net on the Laval side, while Adam Rockwood missed his chance late in the third when he chose to look for a pass on a 2-on-1 deep in the Rocket zone.
Overtime ended quickly on an innocent looking drive to the net by Xavier Ouellet. The Rocket captain carried it down the left wing side and roofed it over the short side shoulder of Sakellaropoulous to hand the rookie netminder his second straight overtime defeat. It was Ouellet's second overtime goal in two games against the T-Birds inside the Thunderdome. Springfield finishes the season with a 2-0-2-0 record against Laval.
The T-Birds round out their three-game weekend with a 3:05 p.m. matinee on Sunday against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins inside the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-2020 ticket memberships are on sale now and include the best benefits of being a Thunderbirds ticket holder. To learn more about memberships and single game tickets, visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- 4,887 Bears Hit the Ice for T-Birds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss
- T-Birds' Strong Start Doesn't Hold up vs. Wolf Pack
- T-Birds Acquire D Rob O'Gara from San Antonio Rampage
- Florida Panthers Recall F Aleksi Saarela from T-Birds
- T-Birds Recall Marcinew, MacPherson from ECHL Ahead of Teddy Bear Toss Weekend