Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Friday recalled forward Matt Puempel from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
??Puempel, 26, ranks among the Griffins leaders this season with 50 points (2nd), 24 goals (2nd), 26 assists (3rd) and eight power play goals (1st) while adding a plus-six rating and 38 penalty minutes in 59 games. His team-high 215 shots place third in the AHL. Puempel shows 14 points (7-7-14) in his last 14 games and is on a three-game point streak (2-1-3).
??Should he debut with Detroit, Puempel will become the 177th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL. Detroit plays at the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday at 10 p.m. EDT.
??Acquired by the Red Wings from the New York Rangers in exchange for Ryan Sproul on Oct. 21, 2017, Puempel has amassed 104 points (46-58-104), a plus-12 rating and 59 PIM in 116 games with Grand Rapids and was named to the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic, his first pro all-star appearance. Since making his AHL debut with the Binghamton Senators near the end of the 2011-12 season, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound winger has totaled 218 points (107-111-218) and 201 PIM in 291 career contests between Binghamton (2011-16), Hartford (2017-18) and Grand Rapids.
??Originally drafted 24th overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Puempel has logged 79 career NHL games between Ottawa (2014-17) and New York (2016-17) and posted 15 points (10-5-15) and 28 PIM. He spent the entire 2016-17 campaign in the NHL, registering no points in 13 games with Ottawa before being claimed off waivers by New York and going on to tally nine points (6-3-9) in 27 appearances.
??Prior to turning pro, the Essex, Ontario, native played four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League and banked 213 points (119-94-213) in 195 games between Peterborough (2009-12) and Kitchener (2012-13). He was named OHL Rookie of the Year and to the Canadian Major Junior All-Rookie Team in 2010 after leading all first-year OHL skaters with 64 points (33-31-64) in 59 games.
??The Griffins continue their season-high six-game road trip on Saturday against the Texas Stars at 8 p.m. EDT.
?Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.