Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch blew past the Utica Comets, 6-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena to clinch a berth in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs.
Alex Barre-Boulet potted his 31st goal of the season to set a new franchise record for goals by a Crunch rookie as the team moved to 42-18-4-2 on the season and built a 6-4-0-0 lead in the 12-game season series with the Comets.
Goaltender Eddie Pasquale earned the win turning aside 32-of-34 shots. Michael Leighton allowed four goals on 12 shots before being relieved by Marek Mazanec. Mazanec went on to stop 9-of-11 between the pipes for the Comets. Syracuse converted on 2-of-3 power play opportunities and went a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch opened scoring with a power-play goal right off the draw 6:19 into the game. Andy Andreoff won it back for Cory Conacher to rip home from the top of the left circle. Just 25 seconds later, Conacher came in on an odd-man rush with Gabriel Dumont and chipped in his second of the game. Alex Volkov earned the secondary helper.
The Comets finally responded at the 15:10 mark of the first period. Tanner Kero dug the puck out from the end boards for Stefan LeBlanc in the right circle. He quickly passed over for Reid Boucher to redirect in from down low.
Syracuse went back up by two with 31 seconds remaining in the opening frame. Conacher carried the puck across the blue line and centered it for Volkov to send home from the slot. Hubert Labrie earned a point on the play.
The Crunch added two more goals in the middle stanza to build a 5-2 lead. At the 6:27 mark, Dumont got the puck from Boris Katchouk, sped down the left wing and fed Ben Thomas for a shorthanded marker from the right circle that chased Leighton from the game.
At 11:05, Barre-Boulet jammed the puck across the goal line during a scramble in front of the cage while on the man-advantage. Assists went to Taylor Raddysh and Cal Foote. Utica immediately stole it back 37 seconds later when Kero poked in a waffling puck with the help of Jesse Graham and Boucher.
The Crunch potted their second shorthanded goal of the game late in the third when Volkov stole the puck off Mazanec's stick as he left his crease to play it and threw it into an open net.
The Crunch travel to face the Bridgeport Sound Tigers tomorrow at 5 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Alex Barré-Boulet now holds the franchise record for most goals by a rookie with 31...The Crunch are tied for the league lead with 16 shorthanded goals this season. Eight have come against the Comets...The Crunch are the only team in the Eastern Conference with four 20-plus goal scorers - Cory Conacher, Alex Barre-Boulet, Carter Verhaeghe and Andy Andreoff.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.