Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3
STOCKTON, CALIF. - Iowa Wild (34-20-7-5; 80 pts.) overcame a three-goal deficit but couldn't get the game-winner as the Stockton Heat (26-28-4-2; 58 pts.) defeated the visitors by a score of 5-3.
Stockton took a 1-0 lead as forward Buddy Robinson converted on the power play at 13:12 in the first period. Skating down the left side of the ice, forward Glenn Gawdin sent a cross-rink pass to Robinson right as he entered the offensive zone. Robinson skated to the top of the right circle before ripping a shot past goaltender Andrew Hammond (34 saves), beating him stick side.
Through the end of the first period, Stockton led 1-0 while Iowa had the 14-8 shot advantage.
Heat forward Dillon Dube gave the home team a 2-0 lead just more than a minute into a second period. Tic-tac-toe passing by the Stockton offense led to Dube with the puck on his stick in the slot. Dube shot the puck past the sprawling Hammond for the power-play score. Robinson and Gawdin earned the assists on the play.
Stockton then took a 3-0 lead at 12:11 in the middle frame as Robinson logged his second of the game. Defenseman Rob Hamilton took a shot from the point that was blocked by the Wild defense. Forward Matthew Phillips then picked up the loose puck and kicked it to Robinson in the slot. Robinson beat Hammond for his 14th of the season and first multi-goal game of the year.
Iowa finally got on the board as forward Will Bitten capitalized on a breakaway at 14:42 in the second stanza. In his own zone, forward Gerry Mayhew sprung Bitten for a breakaway with two defenders chasing him. Goaltender Jon Gillies (38 saves) stopped Bitten's initial shot, but he followed up his own rebound and snapped it over Gillies' left pad for his ninth of the season.
Less than two minutes later, forward Dmitry Sokolov brought Iowa within one with his 14th of the year. Sokolov blocked a shot in the defensive zone then went on the attack. Chipping the puck to himself to enter the offensive zone, Sokolov skated to the right faceoff dot and wristed a shot past Gillies' blocker to cut Stockton's lead to 3-2.
Heading into the third period, Iowa trailed 3-2 but led in shots 31-23.
The Wild pulled even with Stockton as defenseman Nate Prosser netted his first goal in an Iowa sweater at 15:58 in the third period. Mayhew had the puck low and curled out of the corner to see Prosser crashing the slot. Prosser received the pass from Mayhew and fired a shot over Gillies' glove to make it a 3-3 game. Defenseman Michael Kapla earned the secondary assist on the play.
Just less than two minutes following Prosser's goal, Stockton regained the lead when Phillips notched his 12th tally of the year. Defenseman Matt Taormina ripped a slap shot from the point that was saved by Hammond, but Phillips on the doorstep knocked home the rebound. Winger Ryan Lomberg registered the secondary assist on the play.
Forward Tyler Graovac iced the game with an empty-netter at 19:50 as the Heat skated away with a 5-3 victory. Iowa finished the game leading in shots 41-39 and went 0-for-6 on the power play and 4-for-6 on the penalty kill.
Iowa and Stockton are slated for a rematch Sunday evening with a 7:00 p.m. CT puck drop.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule
- Iowa Wild Clinches First Playoff Berth in Franchise History
- Captain Cal O'Reilly Leads Wild to 2-1 Victory over Chicago