$87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings
LOVELAND, CO. - The Colorado Eagles held the team's eighth-annual Pot of Gold Game on Saturday and Eagles fans and sponsors responded by raising $87,095 for the Romito family from Mead, Colorado. The Romito family is in desperate need of a wheelchair-accessible house for their three sons, Dominic, Collin and Kaleb who are all battling Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. The $87,095 raised during the evening is a new record for the Pot of Gold Night.
Manitoba would hop on the scoreboard first when defenseman Cameron Schilling stepped into a shot from the left point that would light the lamp and give the Moose a 1-0 edge at the 9:41 mark of the first period.
Colorado would strike back late in the opening stanza when Sheldon Dries settled a loose puck in the left-wing circle and snapped a wrister that would be tipped by forward Logan O'Connor past Manitoba goalie Mikhail Berdin to tie the game at 1-1 with 4:25 remaining in the first period.
Deadlocked at one apiece after 20 minutes of action, the Eagles would claim their first lead of the night on the power play when forward A.J. Greer deflected a shot from the blue line to send it into the back of the net and give Colorado the 2-1 advantage just 4:48 into the period.
Minutes later, the Moose would earn a 5-on-3 power play for two minutes and they would capitalize when defenseman Tucker Poolman buried a one-timer from the left circle to tie the game at 2-2 with 7:24 left to play in the middle frame.
Heading into the third period, both teams would generate double-digit shots, but Berdin and Eagles goaltender Pavel Francouz would stand tall and force a sudden-death overtime. In the extra session Poolman would race down the left-wing circle before lifting a backhander over the shoulder of Francouz to give Manitoba the 3-2 victory just 1:15 into overtime.
Colorado finished the night outshooting the Moose 37-30, while going 1-for-6 on the power play and 6-for-7 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they travel to Tucson, Arizona to take on the Tucson Roadrunners at on Friday, March 29th at 8:05pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Colorado Evens Series at 1-1 with 4-1 Win over Condors
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1