Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs
Milwaukee, WI - The Admirals picked up goals from four different players and Troy Grosenick stopped 22 shots in net as they grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Rockford IceHogs on Friday night at Panther Arena.
The win moved Milwaukee within three points of the Hogs for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Central Division with 10 games to play in the regular season. The two teams will meet in four of those, including tomorrow night in Rockford.
It took the IceHogs just 36 seconds to grab a 1-0 lead when Dennis Gilbert jumped on the loose rebound of a Andreas Martinsen shot.
Milwaukee responded quickly, tying the game at one on Colin Blackwell's 10th tally of the season just 1:12 later. With the Admirals on the power-play Alex Carrier fired a shot from the blueline and Blackwell deflected it past Rockford goalie Anton Forsberg to knot the game at one.
Joe Pendenza gave the Ads a 2-1 lead at the 6:04 mark of the first when he skated the puck off the right half-wall and went five-hole on Forsberg for his fourth of the season.
The lead went up to two goals with just over five minutes to play in the opening stanza. Ads Captain Jarred Tinordi swooped in from the left wing to the goal mouth where he was denied by Forsberg. However Phil Di Giuseppe was right there on the doorstep to knock it in for his second goal in as many games and a 3-1 advantage.
There was no scoring by either team in the second period, but the Admirals did manage to kill off a double-minor high-sticking penalty on Laurent Dauphin resulting in four minutes of PP time for the IceHogs.
Rockford pulled within one at 6:27 of the third on a Victor Ejdsell goal, but just the Ads responded and just over a minute later Anthony Richard got the lead back to two with his 20th of the season. The play begin with a backhand by Dauphin that hit Forsberg in the pad and pounced out to a crashing Richard, who chipped a backhand into the IceHogs net.
Grosenick and the Admirals defense held firm the rest of the way shutting the door on the IceHogs as Milwaukee extended their point streak to four games.
The Ads and Hogs get right back at it tomorrow night when they play the middle of three consecutive contests at 6 pm at the BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford. Milwaukee doesn't return home until Wednesday, April 3 when they host the San Antonio Rampage at 7 pm.
Fans can purchase tickets by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550, or online at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.