Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - Christopher Gibson (19-10-4) made 30 saves and Steve Bernier set a new career high with his 22nd goal of the season on Saturday, guiding the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (38-20-6-2), proud affiliate of the New York Islanders, to a 2-1 win against the Belleville Senators (33-27-3-5) at Webster Bank Arena.
Scott Eansor also scored his seventh goal of the season on a first-period deflection, while Belleville's lone tally came from Cody Goloubef late in the third period to break up Gibson's shutout.
With the victory, Bridgeport swept its two-game season series against Belleville and extended its point streak at home to nine straight games (8-0-1-0).
The Sound Tigers broke the ice at 6:09 of the first period on their next shift following an unavailing 5-on-3 power-play opportunity. Kyle Burroughs caught a cross-ice pass from Seth Helgeson and snapped a lengthy shot from the right point towards the net. Eansor tipped the shot out of midair, and past goaltender Filip Gustavsson, for his second goal in as many games against Belleville this season. It was Eansor's first goal since Feb. 2.
In addition, Helgeson set a new AHL career-high in points (13) with an assist on the tally.
Other than Otto Koivula's one-timer that rang off the crossbar a few minutes later, scoring chances from both sides were sparse throughout the remainder of the frame.
Despite being outshot 15-9 in the second period, Gibson stood tall in Bridgeport's crease and his best of the period came at 16:06, when he put on a clinic, stopping five shots within 30 seconds. It started with a point-blank denial on Darren Archibald and ended with Gibson showcasing his solid rebound control off Adam Tambellini's backhand attempt.
Midway through the second frame, a strong shift from the Matt Lorito - Travis St. Denis - Kieffer Bellows line sparked offensive prowess and drew a slashing penalty on Erik Burgdoerfer. Just seconds after Burgdoerfer left the box, Aho fired a wrister from the high slot that caught a piece of Bernier and found twine, making it 2-0 at 14:13. Bernier's 22nd goal of the season leads all Sound Tigers players.
The Senators battled back and found themselves within one goal late in the third period, when Goloubef fired a wrist shot from the top of the right circle that hit Gibson and trickled past the goal line for his sixth of the season, with 2:06 left to play.
However, their efforts proved to be too little too late, as Gibson remained stellar between the pipes and closed out his 19th win in 35 appearances this season.
The Sound Tigers went 0-for-5 on the power play and a perfect 6-for-6 on the penalty kill. Mike Cornell and Joseph Labate had the contest's only fight at 11:37 of the third period.
Belleville outshot Bridgeport 31-22.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers continue their eight-game homestand tomorrow night with a 5 p.m. matchup against the Syracuse Crunch at Webster Bank Arena. Fans are encouraged to take advantage of $5 16oz. drafts and cans, as well as 50-cent chicken wings, at the Mason's Bar located on the third level. The contest will air across the Sound Tigers Radio Network, and may be viewed live via AHLTV . Pre-game coverage will begin at 4:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Ho-Sang scores first playoff goal in setback; Hershey takes 2-1 series lead
- Sound Tigers Try to Regain Series Lead in Game 3
- Bridgeport silenced despite 39 shots on goal in Game 2 setback
- Sound Tigers Host Hershey in Game 2 Tonight
- Bellows scores twice, including game-winner in double overtime