Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins came back in the closing minute of regulation to force overtime and walked away with a 5-4 victory over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Saturday at PPL Center.
Sam Lafferty buried a hat trick for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (31-25-7-3), with his third goal coming with 58.4 seconds left in regulation to get the game to the extra session. Ryan Haggerty captured the win for the Penguins on a breakaway in OT, gaining important ground in the playoff race.
Lafferty opened the scoring at 10:19 of the first period with a backhand shot that kissed the post on its way to the back of the net. However, Lehigh Valley answered 28 seconds later with Philip Samuelsson depositing a rebound during a delayed penalty, extra attacker situation.
The Phantoms taking back-to-back-to-back penalties afforded Wilkes-Barre/Scranton the opportunity to take a 2-1 lead late in the opening frame with Lafferty getting involved in the action again. Lafferty delivered a backhand saucer pass to Joseph Blandisi on the right circle for a one-timer snipe past Alex Lyon at 17:16.
Lafferty's second tally of the night made it a 3-1 edge for the Penguins 9:18 into the second period, but once again, the Phantoms responded in short order. Less than a minute later, Greg Carey pulled Lehigh Valley within one goal of their in-state rival. Cole Bardreau evened the score, 3-3, with 3:45 remaining in the middle frame.
The Phantoms took the lead for the first time 6:08 into the third period. Chris Conner took the initial shot high on the right side before Jarry knocked it aside. Byron Froese punched in the rebound to seize the 4-3 command over the Penguins.
With the goalie pulled and the extra attacker on, Lafferty earned his fourth point of the night and completed his first career hat trick while procuring the much-needed equalizer. Blandisi's shot from atop the crease was initially rejected by Lyon, but Lafferty whacked the rebound out of mid-air and tied the game with less than a minute to play in regulation.
A defensive-zone turnover by the Phantoms gave Haggerty a clean breakaway in overtime that would ultimately give the Penguins a seismic win and reestablish sole possession of fifth place in the Atlantic Division.
Tristan Jarry, who was making his 13th consecutive start for the Pens, factored in 30 saves for the win. Lyon refuted 21 attempts on 26 shots faced.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Sunday, Mar. 24, against the Springfield Thunderbirds. Puck drop between the Penguins and Thunderbirds is scheduled for 3:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, including full season and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.