Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose
Game #59 - Tucson (28-23-5-2) vs. San Jose (32-19-2-4)
7:05 PM MST, Tucson Arena, Tucson, Arizona
Referees: #39 Brandon Blandina, #74 Michael Sheehan
Linesmen: #17 William Hancock, #20 Brent Hooks
The Roadrunners play the third of six-straight games at home tonight when they host the San Jose Barracuda at Tucson Arena, marking the seventh of eight scheduled regular season meetings between the clubs.
So far in the season series, the Roadrunners have done well for themselves against the Sharks' AHL affiliate, having earned points in all six meetings, posting a 3-0-1-2 record, including a 2-0-0-0 mark at home.
Despite missing the first half of the season and only playing in 35 games thus far, Nick Merkley is tied with Michael Bunting for the fifth-most assists registered in a Roadrunners uniform this year with 19.
Merkley assisted on goals in each of the Barracuda's two previous visits to Tucson Arena this season on December 21 and 22.
On Friday, the Roadrunners signed defenseman Dennis Busby to an ATO, the Arizona Coyotes' fifth round selection (#145 overall) in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. He is with the team and participated in today's morning skate, wearing #11.
Coming into the evening seven points out of the Pacific Division's playoff picture, the Roadrunners have a chance to inch to within five with a regulation win tonight.
It goes without saying; tonight's game is crucial.
All teams in division are in action tonight except for the sixth-place Stockton Heat. The fourth-place Colorado Eagles host the Manitoba Moose at 6:05 PM PST, while the second-place San Diego Gulls host the Ontario Reign at 7:00 PM PST.
THREE THINGS BEEN A WHILE: Including the playoffs, the San Jose Barracuda have not scored a goal in their last four games played at Tucson Arena. They have gone 240:00 straight minutes without a goal. In fact, it's been over a calendar year since they last found the back of the net as visitors in Tucson; March 21, 2017 - Jacob Middleton's overtime tally in a 4-3 Barracuda win. Since then, Adin Hill and Merrick Madsen have posted two home shutouts apiece against the Barracuda, combining to stop all 93 shots faced over those four contests.
WORKING FROM HOME: Of the Roadrunners' 10 remaining regular season games, six of them will be played on home ice, including the next four. With points at a premium right now, the team would like to pocket as many as possible as hosts. The Roadrunners are 14-13-1-0 at Tucson Arena this season, where they've earned 29 of their 63 standings points.
STINGY ON DEFENSE: The Roadrunners have held their opponents to two goals or less in each of their previous four games, and in 10 of their last 14 overall. The team enters the night 13th in the AHL with a 2.95 GAA, but welcomes a San Jose team that averages 3.37 goals per game, and is coming off a 9-0 win over Colorado on Sunday.
NUMBER TO KNOW NINE: Adin Hill ranks ninth among qualified goaltenders in the American Hockey League with a 2.48 goals against average.
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE Catch tonight's action LIVE on AHLTV or join Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson as he calls the game from the Roadrunners' flagship radio station, where coverage begins at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- $87,095 Raised for Local Family, Eagles Grab Point in Standings - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Surge Late to Sail Away with 8-2 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Burned by Late Griffins Goals - Texas Stars
- Rampage Shut out by Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2, Clinch Playoff Berth - Syracuse Crunch
- Lafferty's Hat Trick Helps Penguins to 5-4 Overtime Win over Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- First-Place Wolves Roll in San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Narrowly Beaten by Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Phantoms Earn 3 Points in Weekend Series with Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Dominate Hogs in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Rocket Past Bears on Moon Landing Night by 5-2 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Skate Past Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead in 3-1 Loss at Providence - Binghamton Devils
- Carey Leads P-Bruins over Devils 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Power past Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rocket Erase Deficit to Steal Victory from T-Birds on Sold out Pucks N' Paws Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Stumble in Loss to Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap Skid, Reach 40-Win Mark with 5-2 Victory over Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Continue Hot Streak with Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood and Steel - San Diego Gulls
- Defender Tyler Lewington Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Atte Tolvanen to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold the Great New York State Fair Night March 29 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Host '94 Night March 30 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Kick off Doubleheader Weekend against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sens Recall Carlisle from Loan - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Recall Trevor Hamilton from Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers - Belleville Senators
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Tops Bakersfield in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Ads Use Three-Goal First to Punch Hole Through Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Gain Point and Extend Division Lead in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Can't Complete Comeback as Team Falls to Stockton 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Robinson, Special Teams Guide Stockton to 5-3 Win - Stockton Heat
- Appleby Backstops Moose to Shutout of Colorado - Manitoba Moose
- Appleby Stymies Eagles as Moose Top Colorado, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Earn Key Win over IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.