Solar Bears fall to Everblades in 3-2 loss
ORLANDO, Fla. - Despite goals from J.J. Piccinich and Tyler Bird, the Orlando Solar Bears (20-17-3-1) fell to the Florida Everblades (31-10-0-2) for a second consecutive evening by a 3-2 score on Friday at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
The Solar Bears started strong in the first period, out-shooting Florida 17-9, but neither team found the back of the net.
Marcus Vela gave the Everblades an early lead in the second period when he deflected a shot from Stefan Leblanc at 2:33.
Hugo Roy then scored off the rush at 8:41 to put Florida up by two.
J.J. Piccinich got Orlando on the board at 10:49 with his seventh of the season when he fired a pass from Chris LeBlanc past Jordan Papirny.
Michael Huntebrinker snapped a shot past Michael Lackey at 13:07 to restore the two-goal edge for the visitors.
Tyler Bird pulled Orlando back to within a goal of the opposition with a shorthanded goal at 2:09 of the third period for his ninth of the season.
The Solar Bears pulled Lackey for an extra skater with under three minutes remaining in regulation, but despite maintaining possession were unable to solve Papirny for the tying score.
Lackey went 24-for-27 in the loss; Papirny made 38 stops on 40 shots against.
1) Michael Huntebrinker - FLA
2) Marcus Vela - FLA
3) Jordan Papirny - FLA
Orlando is 6-11-2-1 against Florida this season
The Solar Bears did not have an opportunity with the power play, the first time this season Orlando did not have a chance on the man advantage
LeBlanc's assist on the goal from Piccinich was LeBlanc's 111th career point (40g-71a), moving him into a tie with Eric Baier for fourth on the team's all-time scoring list
Bird's goal extended his career-best point streak to six games (3g-4a)
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears close out the week when they host Hockey Fights Cancer Night, presented by XYMOPrint, against the Florida Everblades at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center on Saturday, April 3 p.m. at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2021
- Rabbits Win Fourth Straight Game, Top Rays in Shootout 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Fall by One at Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Ully's Late Tally Forces Extra Session for SC - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hawkey, Allen Blanks Utah 3-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears fall to Everblades in 3-2 loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kozun Closes Door on Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Unable to Sneak Past Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Outlast Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Weekend Preview vs. Tulsa Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Allen, 6:05 PM - Utah Grizzlies
- Adam Carlson Earns Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Carlson Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- 20th Meeting of the Season Between Blades and Bears - Florida Everblades
- Blackhawk Legend Eddie Olczyk to Join Fuel Broadcast - Indy Fuel
- Utah's Boucher Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Boucher Named ECHL Rookie of the Month for March 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, April 2 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bobby Dorr Wins 2021 Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Pare, Boucher Score for Utah in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Open Three-Game Series with Utah with a 3-2 Shootout Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.