Everblades Outlast Solar Bears
ORLANDO, Fla. - Similar to the night prior, the Florida Everblades (31-10-0-2) scored three goals in the second period to lead to a 3-2 win over the Orlando Solar Bears (20-17-3-1). Rookie goaltender Jordan Papirny stopped 38 shots to earn his first professional win.
FIRST STAR: Michael Huntebrinker (FLA) - one goal, -1, four shots, game winning goal
SECOND STAR: Marcus Vela (FLA) - one goal, +3, one shot
THIRD STAR: Jordan Papirny (FLA) - 38 saves on 40 shots faced
The first period was fast and clean with the Blades rookie netminder, Jordan Papirny, saving all 17 shots faced while the Bears netminder Lackey stopped all nine shots.
Florida's Marcus Vela kicked off the scoring in the second period with a deflection into the back of the net from a shot from Stefan Leblanc to give the Blades a 1-0 lead (2:33). A few minutes later, Hugo Roy found the back of the net on a beauty of a wrister to put the Blades up 2-0 (8:41).
Orlando's Jordan Piccinich brought the Bears to a one goal deficit on a one-timer (10:49). However, the Blades quickly responded. Michael Huntebrinker skated all alone into the Orlando zone, fired a shot that was stopped by Lackey, but he was able to clean up his own miss to give the Blades a 3-1 lead (13:07).
Florida led off the third period with an early power-play opportunity, but Orlando's Tyler Bird potted a shorthanded score to bring the score to 3-2 (2:09). Orlando failed to capitalize late in the game to seal a 3-2 Florida victory.
The Florida Everblades will finish the three game road trip against the Orlando Solar on Saturday, Apr. 3 at 7:00 p.m. at the Amway Game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2021
- Rabbits Win Fourth Straight Game, Top Rays in Shootout 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Fall by One at Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Ully's Late Tally Forces Extra Session for SC - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hawkey, Allen Blanks Utah 3-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears fall to Everblades in 3-2 loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kozun Closes Door on Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Unable to Sneak Past Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Outlast Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Weekend Preview vs. Tulsa Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Allen, 6:05 PM - Utah Grizzlies
- Adam Carlson Earns Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Carlson Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- 20th Meeting of the Season Between Blades and Bears - Florida Everblades
- Blackhawk Legend Eddie Olczyk to Join Fuel Broadcast - Indy Fuel
- Utah's Boucher Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Boucher Named ECHL Rookie of the Month for March 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, April 2 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bobby Dorr Wins 2021 Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Pare, Boucher Score for Utah in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Open Three-Game Series with Utah with a 3-2 Shootout Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.