Ully's Late Tally Forces Extra Session for SC
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Cole Ully's 14th goal of the season with just 1:31 left forced overtime, but the South Carolina Stingrays (17-14-6-3) came up short in a shootout Friday night, falling to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (20-12-8-2) by a final score of 3-2 at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Friday's game was the seventh time that overtime has been needed to settle a game between SC and the Swamp Rabbits and the third to be decided in a shootout.
Ully led the way offensively for South Carolina, playing a major role in both of the team's goals (1g, 1a) while defender Macoy Erkamps scored his first tally of the season and goaltender Hunter Shepard stopped 32 shots.
Greenville took an early lead with the only goal of the opening period at 9:22 of the first when Patrick Bajkov made it 1-0 and extended their advantage to 2-0 at 8:05 of the second on a deflection by Anthony Rinaldi.
But Erkamps gave SC life with less than a minute remaining in the middle frame, burying a feed from Ully just beyond the left post. Ully carried the puck all the way up the ice and around multiple Swamp Rabbit skaters before settling things down and finding Erkamps for the strike at 19:02 to make it 2-1.
The Rays tied the game in the waning moments of the third while Shepard was pulled for an extra attacker. Ully let a shot go from the left point that made its way through traffic and past netminder Ryan Bednard to even things at 2-2. Defenseman Blake Hillman, who returned to the lineup for the first time since March 5, registered the lone assist on the play while Dan DeSalvo provided traffic with a screen in front of the goal.
Neither team was able to end the contest in an overtime that saw multiple close calls and a shots-on-goal advantage of 6-4 for Greenville. Stingrays' captain Andrew Cherniwchan kept his team in it by batting a puck out of the air that looked destined for his own net but also came up short on a breakaway opportunity that was denied by the glove of Bednard.
Greenville's Matt Bradley was the lone skater to score in the skill session, besting Shepard in the first round to put the Swamp Rabbits in front for good.
South Carolina held Greenville to just one power play goal in six opportunities but were held scoreless at 0-for-3 on their man-advantage chances. The Swamp Rabbits outshot the Rays 35-28 in the contest with Bednard turning aside 26 SC looks on goal.
The two clubs conclude their week-long three-game series on Saturday night at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2021
- Rabbits Win Fourth Straight Game, Top Rays in Shootout 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Fall by One at Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Ully's Late Tally Forces Extra Session for SC - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hawkey, Allen Blanks Utah 3-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears fall to Everblades in 3-2 loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kozun Closes Door on Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Unable to Sneak Past Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Outlast Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Weekend Preview vs. Tulsa Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fort Wayne's Hawkins Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Allen, 6:05 PM - Utah Grizzlies
- Adam Carlson Earns Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Carlson Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- 20th Meeting of the Season Between Blades and Bears - Florida Everblades
- Blackhawk Legend Eddie Olczyk to Join Fuel Broadcast - Indy Fuel
- Utah's Boucher Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Boucher Named ECHL Rookie of the Month for March 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, April 2 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bobby Dorr Wins 2021 Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Pare, Boucher Score for Utah in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Open Three-Game Series with Utah with a 3-2 Shootout Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Stingrays Blow by Greenville in Decisive Game 1
- Preview: Game 1: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, June 16 at 7:05 PM
- Ully Strikes Twice to Send Rays to Eastern Conference Finals
- Preview: Game 5: Stingrays at Everblades, June 14 at 7:30 PM
- Rays Force Game 5 with 4-2 Road Win