Schempp Scores Twice, Steelheads Start Week with 4-1 Win over Wichita
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (35-20-4) built up their lead over the course of the night, taking down the Wichita Thunder (22-28-9) with a 4-1 win on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads were slow out of the gates for offensive possession, but one sequence nearly midway through the frame sparked that side to life. At 9:11, Steelheads forward Kyle Schempp batted in a rebound off his own deflected shot coming from the blue line, stringing together the first three shots for the Steelheads and the 1-0 lead.
In the second period, Schempp continued his strong offensive night with another tally at around the same time. This time, it was a blue line shot by defenseman Keegan Kanzig that was deflected by Schempp in the left circle at 9:05, doubling the lead to 2-0. Steelheads defenseman Nolan Gluchowski added another tally on the power play at 12:28 with a shot from the blue line at 12:28 to triple the lead to 3-0.
The Thunder broke the shutout bid at 1:06 of the third period with a shot by defenseman Keoni Texeira on the power play to cut into the lead, 3-1. However, the Steelheads held strong defensively and added the final tally at 19:59 with an empty net goal by defenseman Charlie Dodero to seal the 4-1 win.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (21-10-0) saved 33 of 34 shots in the win, while Thunder netminder Dylan Wells (10-5-2) saved 20 of 23 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open Pink in the Rink weekend on Friday, Mar. 8 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena to continue the weekend against the Thunder. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK "The Ticket" and at 7:00 p.m. on Cable One Ch. 72 and ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 7, 2019
- Admirals Acquire Horn and Eiserman - Norfolk Admirals
- G Jamie Phillips Reassigned to Reading; Riley Traded to Florida - Reading Royals
- Rush Make Multiple Trade Deadline Moves - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Add Braden Hellems on Amateur Tryout Deal - Indy Fuel
- Stephan Falkovsky Reassigned to Manchester by Minnesota - Allen Americans
- Everblades Negotiate Series of Deals on Day of Trade Deadline - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Execute Three-Team Deal with Fort Wayne, Rapid City - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Acquire Troock from Atlanta for Furgele - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 7 - ECHL
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Acquire D-Man Elmes, Martineau Returns - Fort Wayne Komets
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Acquires Buffalo and Futures from Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Rocked by Kansas City 6-0 - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Acquire Rimmer from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- South Carolina Agrees to Trade with Norfolk for Chase Harrison - South Carolina Stingrays
- Wallin Gets Fourth Stint in Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Ready for Stick It to Cancer Weekend at Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Schempp Scores Twice, Steelheads Start Week with 4-1 Win over Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson, Rush Shut out Utah 1-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies to Start Series - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Opens Road Trip with Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
- 'Blades Special Teams Dominate in 4-1 Win over Gladiators - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Forward Mitch Moroz Agrees to Third Steelheads Season in 2019-20
- Forward Will Merchant Agrees to Return for 2019-20 Season
- Steelheads Name Everett Sheen as Franchise's Eighth Head Coach
- Defenseman Keegan Kanzig Returns to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Head Coach Neil Graham Appointed as Texas Stars Assistant Coach