Fuel Add Braden Hellems on Amateur Tryout Deal
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indy Fuel, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks and the AHL's Rockford IceHogs, announced Thursday that they have signed defenseman Braden Hellems to an amateur tryout contract (ATO).
Hellems, 24, looks to make his professional debut in Indy after completing his collegiate career at Adrian College (NCAA III). The 5-foot-10, 200-pound blueliner ranked third on Adrian's roster and fourth among all NCAA D-III defensemen with 27 points (11g, 16a) in 2018-19. Hellems registered at least a point in eight of the Bulldogs' final nine games of the season, tallying seven goals and five assists over that span to help his team reach the NCHA Championship game, where they fell to top-seeded St. Norbert College. The native of St. Thomas, Ontario rounded out his senior season by being selected to the 2018-19 NCHA All-Conference squad.
Over four seasons with Adrian, Hellems recorded 55 points (18g, 37a) in 76 games, while finishing his collegiate career with a +46 rating. Prior to his time at school, Hellems spent the 2014-15 season in the Ontario Junior Hockey League with the Trenton Golden Hawks, earning OJHL All-Star Team honors with 12 goals and 38 assists in 53 games.
The Fuel are back in action Friday, kicking off a three game weekend with a showdown against the league-leading Cincinnati Cyclones at Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Single-game tickets are now on sale for the Fuel's 5th anniversary season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 7, 2019
- Admirals Acquire Horn and Eiserman - Norfolk Admirals
- G Jamie Phillips Reassigned to Reading; Riley Traded to Florida - Reading Royals
- Rush Make Multiple Trade Deadline Moves - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Add Braden Hellems on Amateur Tryout Deal - Indy Fuel
- Stephan Falkovsky Reassigned to Manchester by Minnesota - Allen Americans
- Everblades Negotiate Series of Deals on Day of Trade Deadline - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Execute Three-Team Deal with Fort Wayne, Rapid City - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Acquire Troock from Atlanta for Furgele - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 7 - ECHL
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Acquire D-Man Elmes, Martineau Returns - Fort Wayne Komets
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Acquires Buffalo and Futures from Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Rocked by Kansas City 6-0 - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Acquire Rimmer from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- South Carolina Agrees to Trade with Norfolk for Chase Harrison - South Carolina Stingrays
- Wallin Gets Fourth Stint in Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Ready for Stick It to Cancer Weekend at Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Schempp Scores Twice, Steelheads Start Week with 4-1 Win over Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson, Rush Shut out Utah 1-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies to Start Series - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Opens Road Trip with Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
- 'Blades Special Teams Dominate in 4-1 Win over Gladiators - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.