Everblades Negotiate Series of Deals on Day of Trade Deadline
ESTERO, Fla. - Florida Everblades President and General Manager Craig Brush and head coach Brad Ralph announced on Thursday a series of trades to bolster the team's roster heading into the final month of the regular season.
Coming on the day of the trade deadline, Florida picked up veteran defenseman Riley Weselowski in a trade with the Rapid City Rush and acquired the rights to Nick Moutrey in a trade with the Manchester Monarchs.
Weselowski, 34, has played in more than 350 career ECHL games and has spent the bulk of his professional career with the Rush, including parts of five seasons from 2009-14 while Rapid City was still in the Central Hockey League. The 11th-year pro has 99 career points (22g-77a) in 372 games in the ECHL and has recorded eight goals and 20 points in 60 games this season.
A native of Pilot Mound, Manitoba, Weselowski posted 124 points (22g-102a) in 274 career games in the CHL with Rapid City. Prior to turning pro, he suited up in 124 games for Bemidji State University from 2004-08, totaling 39 points (8g-31a) in his college career.
As part of the trade with Rapid City, Florida sent forward Liam Bilton to the Rush along with forward Jack Riley. The 'Blades picked up Riley in a separate deal with the Reading Royals earlier in the day on Thursday prior to packaging him with Bilton to acquire Weselowski. Bilton was scoreless and put up two penalty minutes in four games with Florida.
The Everblades received the rights to Moutrey by sending defenseman Brenden Miller to the Monarchs. A fourth-year pro, Moutrey, 23, has 12 points in 12 games for Manchester this season. The Shelburne, Ontario, native has spent a bulk of the season in the American Hockey League with the Rockford IceHogs. He has played in 42 games and notched three points (1g-2a) with Rockford.
Moutrey, 23, has skated in 194 contests in his AHL career, seeing time with the Cleveland Monsters, Belleville Senators and Rockford. He has 20 goals and 42 points in his time in the AHL. Before going pro, Moutrey played four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League with the Saginaw Spirit and the North Bay Battalion. He had 155 points (58g-97a) in 261 games.
In addition to the string of moves on trade deadline day, the AHL's Charlotte Checkers recalled goaltender Jamie Phillips, while forward Steven Lorentz was recalled to Charlotte by the Carolina Hurricanes.
Phillips has posted a 19-9-2 record in 30 appearances with Florida this season. The Caledonia, Ontario, native has put up a 2.59 goals-against average and a .903 save percentage in his first season with the 'Blades, allowing two goals or less in 17 of his appearances.
Lorentz is receiving his fourth call-up to Charlotte this season and leads Florida with a 1.27 points-per-game average this year. The second-year pro has registered 28 points (10g-18a) in 22 games with the 'Blades and tabbed points in all three games in his most recent stint with Florida. The Waterloo, Ontario, native has five points (2g-3a) in 18 games with Charlotte this season.
Florida continues a three-game set with the Atlanta Gladiators with a 7:30 p.m. matchup on Friday at Hertz Arena.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club and 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flexible Packages are on sale now!
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fit into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Nick Moutrey of the Cleveland Monsters (right) was one of Florida's acquisitions on Thursday
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 7, 2019
- Admirals Acquire Horn and Eiserman - Norfolk Admirals
- G Jamie Phillips Reassigned to Reading; Riley Traded to Florida - Reading Royals
- Rush Make Multiple Trade Deadline Moves - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Add Braden Hellems on Amateur Tryout Deal - Indy Fuel
- Stephan Falkovsky Reassigned to Manchester by Minnesota - Allen Americans
- Everblades Negotiate Series of Deals on Day of Trade Deadline - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Execute Three-Team Deal with Fort Wayne, Rapid City - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Acquire Troock from Atlanta for Furgele - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 7 - ECHL
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Acquire D-Man Elmes, Martineau Returns - Fort Wayne Komets
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Acquires Buffalo and Futures from Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Rocked by Kansas City 6-0 - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Acquire Rimmer from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- South Carolina Agrees to Trade with Norfolk for Chase Harrison - South Carolina Stingrays
- Wallin Gets Fourth Stint in Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Ready for Stick It to Cancer Weekend at Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Schempp Scores Twice, Steelheads Start Week with 4-1 Win over Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson, Rush Shut out Utah 1-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies to Start Series - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Opens Road Trip with Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
- 'Blades Special Teams Dominate in 4-1 Win over Gladiators - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Release Top Six Promo Dates for 2019-20 Season
- Scoring Phenom Blake Winiecki to Return for Second Season
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Goaltender Cam Johnson to Two-Way Deal
- Michael Neville Set to Return for Second Season with 'Blades
- Milwaukee Admirals Ink Trio to AHL Contracts