'Blades Special Teams Dominate in 4-1 Win over Gladiators
ESTERO, Fla. - Nathan Perkovich scored twice and Jeremy Helvig yielded just one goal for the second straight start to send the Florida Everblades to their 20th home win of the season, a 4-1 triumph over the Atlanta Gladiators on Wednesday night at Hertz Arena.
With a chance to get to 20 home wins for the fifth straight season, the Everblades (40-15-5-0, 85 pts.) scored twice on the power play and finished a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill to beat the Gladiators (24-24-7-1, 56 pts.) for the sixth time this season.
Kyle Platzer kick-started the scoring for the 'Blades at 9:09 of the first period with his 24th goal of the year, arguably his best of the season. With the 'Blades on the power play, there was more room for Platzer to utilize his blazing speed. He raced from the 'Blades line through the middle of the ice and cut past Atlanta defenseman Jack Stander with a toe drag. Following the toe drag, Platzer then stuffed the puck five-hole on Atlanta goaltender Sean Bonar while on his forehand.
The 'Blades continued their second-period dominance, adding two more goals to their lead. Florida sits atop the league in second-period goal differential this season and has outscored its opponents by 37 goals in the middle frame.
Matt Finn scored an impressive of his own at 6:42 of the second to give the 'Blades a two-goal lead. Finn potted his 10th goal of the season in sneaky fashion, as he snuck down from the blueline into the slot while Patrick Bajkov worked the puck down low behind the net. With Finn wide open in front, Bajkov set him up. Finn then went to his backhand and flipped it past Bonar.
Florida quickly added another on the first of the night from Perkovich, coming only 31 seconds after Finn scored. Michael Downing snapped off a shot from the left point that Perkovich caught a piece of on a redirect while standing just to the left of the goal. That tally increased Florida's advantage to 3-0.
Perkovich then pushed Florida's lead to four with a power-play strike in the first minute of the third. With the Blades cycling in the Gladiator's end, the puck found its way to the stick of Derek Sheppard at the point. He launched a missile of a shot from the point that bounced off the pads of Bonar right to the stick of Perkovich, who flipped it over Bonar's head for the goal.
Platzer picked up his second point of the night with a secondary assist on the second tally by Perkovich, giving him his third multi-point game in his last five contests. Platzer now has nine points (3g-6a) over a five-game point streak.
Atlanta's Nolan LaPorte scored with 26 seconds to play to break Helvig's shutout bid.
Helvig earned his 21st victory for the 'Blades and stopped 26 shots, while Bonar made 34 saves in the loss.
Florida continues the three-game set against Atlanta with a Friday night matchup at Hertz Arena. Faceoff is slated for 7:30 p.m.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club and 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flexible Packages are on sale now!
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fit into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 7, 2019
- Admirals Acquire Horn and Eiserman - Norfolk Admirals
- G Jamie Phillips Reassigned to Reading; Riley Traded to Florida - Reading Royals
- Rush Make Multiple Trade Deadline Moves - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Add Braden Hellems on Amateur Tryout Deal - Indy Fuel
- Stephan Falkovsky Reassigned to Manchester by Minnesota - Allen Americans
- Everblades Negotiate Series of Deals on Day of Trade Deadline - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Execute Three-Team Deal with Fort Wayne, Rapid City - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Acquire Troock from Atlanta for Furgele - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 7 - ECHL
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Acquire D-Man Elmes, Martineau Returns - Fort Wayne Komets
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Acquires Buffalo and Futures from Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Rocked by Kansas City 6-0 - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Acquire Rimmer from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- South Carolina Agrees to Trade with Norfolk for Chase Harrison - South Carolina Stingrays
- Wallin Gets Fourth Stint in Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Ready for Stick It to Cancer Weekend at Cool Insuring Arena - Adirondack Thunder
- Schempp Scores Twice, Steelheads Start Week with 4-1 Win over Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson, Rush Shut out Utah 1-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies to Start Series - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Opens Road Trip with Loss at Idaho - Wichita Thunder
- 'Blades Special Teams Dominate in 4-1 Win over Gladiators - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series
- Fierce Finish:Five Unanswered Goals Push 'Blades Past Solar Bears
- 'Blades Wrap up Homestand with Rivalry Tilt against Orlando
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week