River Cats take series despite dropping finale
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (35-31) had their four-game win streak snapped Friday night, falling 7-1 to the Omaha Storm Chasers (32-35). Even with the loss, the River Cats remain two games clear of the Fresno Grizzlies for the division lead.
On a night were offense was hard to come by, the River Cats saw Zach Green, one of their hottest hitters, head to the clubhouse in the fourth inning after being hit in the helmet by a pitch from Zach Lovvorn. Green had recently returned from a concussion on June 1 that caused him to miss 22 games. He is hitting .323 this season with 11 home runs
The offense did make a comeback attempt in the eighth inning when Mike Gerber led off the inning with a walk and Henry Ramos followed with a single. Austin Slater would add another single after that to score Gerber, but a fielder's choice and double play ended the threat.
The Sacramento River Cats open up a four game series with the Iowa Cubs tomorrow night. Sacramento will turn to Lefty Conner Menez (0-0, 3.60) for the first game of the series while the Iowa Cubs will go with right-hander Colin Rea (6-1, 3.31). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Left-hander Steven Okert made his 174th appearance for the River Cats Friday night. Okert is now just 12 games away from tying the River Cats record for most appearances at 184.
- Outfielder Chris Shaw extended his hitting streak to eight games with leadoff single to left to start the fourth. He is now hitting .293 since being promoted to Sacramento.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Missions Ace Reno in Extra Inning Thriller - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Make It Three in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Despite Dean's Quality Start, Isotopes Fall 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Shutout Rainiers in 14-0 Thrashing - Round Rock Express
- Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Shut out by Express in Saturday Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davidson's 200th Homer Highlights Sellout Win - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (27-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-39) vs Las Vegas Aviators (36-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes at San Antonio - Reno Aces
- Winning Again with Power Hitting - San Antonio Missions
- Armed and Dangerous: Aviators' Starting Staff on a Roll - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Take Down Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Takes Bees in 10 - Salt Lake Bees
- Homers Lead Bees to Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Fall again to New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Derail Express 16-3 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Gallen Gets Another Win, 'Cakes Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Complete Three-Game Sweep of the Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics