Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - John Nogowski was 3-for-4 with three RBI, and Edmundo Sosa and Rangel Ravelo each doubled and walked, but the Las Vegas Aviators (Athletics) took game one of the series with the Memphis Redbirds (29-40) Saturday night at AutoZone Park, 8-4.
With a crowd of 8,555 Saturday night, nearly 20,000 fans have packed AutoZone Park in the last two games after a sellout crowd last night.
Ravelo walked and doubled in his first two at-bats, making him 10 for his last 14 over three-and-a-half games with eight runs scored and three doubles.
Las Vegas led 3-0 before the Redbirds scored twice in the fourth, with Nogowski singling home Sosa, who walked, and Ravelo after his double. But the Aviators scored three more in the sixth to make it 6-2 and another in the seventh to distance themselves from the Redbirds.
Nogowski had another RBI single in the eighth inning that brought the Redbirds within 7-4, but Las Vegas promptly added another run in the ninth that advanced the game to its eventual final score of 8-4.
Harold Arauz started and gave up three runs on eight hits in 5.0 innings. Chris Ellis, Dominic Leone, and Jesus Cruz followed out of the Memphis bullpen.
The Aviators (37-32) had three doubles, two triples, and two home runs as part of their 14-hit attack.
Memphis and Las Vegas continue their series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05. The four-game set runs through an 11:05 a.m. game on Tuesday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Sunday, June 16 at 2:05: Father's Day hamburger/hot dog buffet specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/fathersday; kids and dads run the bases after the game; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air
Monday, June 17 at 6:35: the Redbirds will take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series
Tuesday, June 18 at 11:05 a.m.: a special day game with members of various summer camps in attendance, and additional summer camps interested in attending can call (901) 721-6000
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Missions Ace Reno in Extra Inning Thriller - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Make It Three in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Despite Dean's Quality Start, Isotopes Fall 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Shutout Rainiers in 14-0 Thrashing - Round Rock Express
- Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Shut out by Express in Saturday Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davidson's 200th Homer Highlights Sellout Win - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (27-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-39) vs Las Vegas Aviators (36-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes at San Antonio - Reno Aces
- Winning Again with Power Hitting - San Antonio Missions
- Armed and Dangerous: Aviators' Starting Staff on a Roll - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Take Down Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Takes Bees in 10 - Salt Lake Bees
- Homers Lead Bees to Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Fall again to New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Derail Express 16-3 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Gallen Gets Another Win, 'Cakes Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Complete Three-Game Sweep of the Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.