Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2
Fresno, California - The Iowa Cubs (37-31) roared past the Fresno Grizzlies (33-34) 7-2 from Chukchansi Park. Iowa picked up both the rubber match and series win after falling in the opener on Wednesday. Cubs starter Adbert Alzolay (2-1) secured the decision after six sharp innings. He tied his season-high with nine strikeouts. Grizzlies righty Logan Ondrusek (2-2) took the loss after five frames of work.
Fresno notched 12 hits in the defeat. Wilmer Difo, Carter Kieboom and Brandon Snyder each had multi-hit affairs. Snyder's RBI double knocked in Yadiel Hernandez in the sixth. That came one inning after Matt Reynolds recorded a pinch-hit solo shot to center field. It was his sixth of the year. George Kontos hurled two shutout frames in relief of Ondrusek.
Trent Giambrone dazzled at the plate for Iowa. He smacked three hits, drove in three and scored twice. One of those hits for Giambrone was a homer, his 11th of the season. Dixon Machado, Donnie Dewees and Jim Adduci each added a pair of knocks in the victory.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- PH Matt Reynolds (1-1, HR, RBI, R)
- 1B Brandon Snyder (2-4, 2B, RBI)
- RHP George Kontos (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K)
Top Performers: Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs)
- 2B Trent Giambrone (3-4, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, BB, SB)
- SS Dixon Machado (2-4, 2 2B, RBI, R)
- RF Jim Adduci (2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R, BB)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday June 15 Omaha Storm Chasers (Home) RHP Kevin McGowan (Fresno) vs. LHP Foster Griffin (Omaha) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: The Grizzlies celebrated the 25th anniversary of Forrest Gump Friday night against Iowa with Run Parker Run jerseys. The themed-jerseys were auctioned off during the game with proceeds benefitting the Kepler Neighborhood School.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Missions Ace Reno in Extra Inning Thriller - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Make It Three in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Despite Dean's Quality Start, Isotopes Fall 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Shutout Rainiers in 14-0 Thrashing - Round Rock Express
- Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Shut out by Express in Saturday Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davidson's 200th Homer Highlights Sellout Win - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (27-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-39) vs Las Vegas Aviators (36-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes at San Antonio - Reno Aces
- Winning Again with Power Hitting - San Antonio Missions
- Armed and Dangerous: Aviators' Starting Staff on a Roll - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Take Down Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Takes Bees in 10 - Salt Lake Bees
- Homers Lead Bees to Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Fall again to New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Derail Express 16-3 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Gallen Gets Another Win, 'Cakes Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Complete Three-Game Sweep of the Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th