OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge
Albuquerque, N.M. - The Oklahoma City Dodgers never trailed Friday night, but had to escape a late charge from the Albuquerque Isotopes in the bottom of the ninth inning, as the Dodgers hung on to complete a road series sweep with a 5-4 win at Isotopes Park.
The victory gave Oklahoma City a second straight road series sweep as the Dodgers also won a team record eighth straight road game Friday.
Oklahoma City (27-39) entered the bottom of the ninth inning with a 5-2 lead before Albuquerque's offense rallied.
Albuquerque's Elliot Soto drew a leadoff walk before Yonathan Daza followed with a RBI triple into center field to cut the Dodgers' lead to two runs with none out. After Dodgers pitcher Jaime Schultz notched a strikeout, Albuquerque's Pat Valaika chopped a RBI infield single toward third base that cut the Dodgers lead to one run.
Sam Hilliard followed with a single into center field. Valaika tried to score from first base on the play, but was thrown out at the plate on the relay from center fielder Cameron Perkins to shortstop Errol Robinson to catcher Rocky Gale to keep the Dodgers' one-run lead intact.
Brian Mundell followed and drew a walk for the Isotopes before OKC pitcher Josh Sborz entered the game. Sborz got Roberto Ramos to strike out swinging to end the game as Sborz secured his first save of the season.
The Dodgers led early in the finale of the three-game series against the Isotopes Friday before going on to their fourth consecutive win overall.
With two outs in the second inning, Gale hit a fly ball to deep center field that landed for a RBI triple to put the Dodgers in front, 1-0.
The Dodgers then extended their lead in the third inning.
OKC loaded the bases on a walk, single and hit by pitch before Shane Peterson drew a walk to push Oklahoma City's lead to 2-0. With the bases loaded again, Jake Peter grounded into a fielder's choice to bring home a run and push the Dodgers' lead to 3-0.
The Isotopes (30-38) got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the inning when Peter Mooney led off with a solo home run down the right field line.
Albuquerque's Hilliard led off the bottom of the fourth inning with a walk and later came around to score on a one-out RBI single by Ramos to cut Oklahoma City's lead to 3-2.
Peter and Gale each hit one-out singles in the sixth inning for the Dodgers before Robinson's RBI double extended OKC's lead back to two runs, 4-2. Friday marked Gale's fifth straight start with a multi-hit outing, as he finished the game 2-for-4, while Peter and Robinson each extended their hitting streaks to six games.
The Dodgers tacked on another run in the top of the seventh inning. Zach Reks led off with a double then came around to score when Edwin RÃ-os followed and lined a RBI single into right field for a 5-2 Dodgers advantage. Reks finished with a game-high three hits as he collected three hits for a second straight night. He extended his hitting streak to eight games and has also hit safely in 13 straight starts with OKC.
Albuquerque threatened in the bottom of the inning. Elliott Soto led off with a double before Yonathan Daza drew a walk from Dodgers pitcher JT Chargois. Chargois then got Garrett Hampson to ground into a double play and Sam Hilliard to fly out to end the inning and keep OKC's three-run lead in place.
Dodgers pitcher Kevin Quackenbush tossed a scoreless eighth inning with two strikeouts before the Isotopes scored twice in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Dodgers pitcher Justin Grimm (3-3) picked up the win, pitching 2.0 scoreless innings with one walk and two strikeouts. He followed starting pitcher Tony Gonsolin, who allowed two runs and five hits over 4.0 innings, notching three strikeouts and issuing one walk.
Albuquerque starting pitcher Chi Chi Gonzalez (4-5) was charged with the loss, allowing five runs and 11 hits, three walks and had four strikeouts.
Oklahoma City's current road winning streak started with win at Omaha May 29, followed by a four-game series sweep at Memphis May 30-June 2 before winning the three-game series against the Isotopes, which wrapped up Friday. OKC's eighth straight road victory Friday set a new team record since the team re-joined the PCL in 1998.
The Dodgers next continue their road trip and open a four-game series against the El Paso Chihuahuas at 8:05 p.m. Saturday at Southwest University Park.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Missions Ace Reno in Extra Inning Thriller - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Make It Three in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Despite Dean's Quality Start, Isotopes Fall 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Shutout Rainiers in 14-0 Thrashing - Round Rock Express
- Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Shut out by Express in Saturday Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davidson's 200th Homer Highlights Sellout Win - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (27-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-39) vs Las Vegas Aviators (36-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes at San Antonio - Reno Aces
- Winning Again with Power Hitting - San Antonio Missions
- Armed and Dangerous: Aviators' Starting Staff on a Roll - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Take Down Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Takes Bees in 10 - Salt Lake Bees
- Homers Lead Bees to Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Fall again to New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Derail Express 16-3 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Gallen Gets Another Win, 'Cakes Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Complete Three-Game Sweep of the Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.