Game Notes at San Antonio
Today's Game: After salvaging game three against Round Rock in an offensive explosion, the Aces will head to San Antonio to take on the Missions with Braden Shipley scheduled to start for Reno. Shipley is 1-3 this season but threw his best outing of the year last week against Memphis tossing six innings while allowing two earned runs in his first quality start of 2019. Shipley is three wins away from becoming Reno's franchise leader in wins. San Antonio will counter with righty Bubba Derby. Derby is sporting a 3-3 record to go along with a 4.33 ERA thus far this season. He earned a win in his last start against Las Vegas on 6/9 in a quality start of his own going six innings while surrendering just one run.
Big League Rehab: Jake Lamb played in his fifth game for the Reno Aces while on Major League rehab assignment last night against Round Rock. Lamb was 1-for-4 with a two-run HR while DHing for the Biggest Little City. It was his first homer for Reno since 8/2/14 @ El Paso. The Express had some Major League fire power of their own last night. 6x All-Star, 2017 AL MVP, and World Series Champion Jose Altuve played second base and batted third for Round Rock. The Astros' infielder was 0-for-4 with two K's against the Aces pitching staff but made a nice diving play in the fifth to rob Abraham Almonte of a single.
Quality Widener: Taylor Widener turned in his first quality start of the season last night against Round Rock throwing six innings allowing two earned runs on four hits with nine strikeouts and no walks. His nine strikeouts tied Taylor Clarke on 4/9 for the Aces single-game high for K's this season. It is the first time Widener has reached the sixth inning in 2019 and his first quality start since August 26, 2018 while pitching for Double-A Jackson. He earned a loss that day against the Birmingham Barons going six innings while giving up two earned runs. The Barons won 2-0.
Homecoming: Wyatt Mathisen is scorching since returning to his home state of Texas this road trip. Thus far he is 8-for-10 homering in three straight games to go along with 9 RBIs and five runs scored. Mathisen was a 2nd round pick out of Calallen High School in Corpus Christi, TX in 2012 by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Calallen high school is about a two-hour drive to San Antonio's Wolff Stadium and about a four-hour drive to Round Rock's Dell Diamond. Aces left-handed pitcher Anthony Vasquez attended Ronald Reagan High School in San Antonio, about a 30-minute drive to Wolff Stadium.
Scoring Runs Szczur: Matt Szczur was 3-for-4 with a home run, a double, a walk, 4 runs scored and 3 RBIs last night against Round Rock. The only other time in his career he scored four runs in a game and drove in three came on 8/12/16 against the St. Louis Cardinals. Szczur was 3-for-4 that day with 2 HR, a double, a HBP, 4 runs scored, and 3 RBIs while playing for the Chicago Cubs.
New Opponent: The Aces will face San Antonio for the first time in franchise history tonight. San Antonio joined the Pacific Coast League this season from Double-A and is the Milwaukee Brewers Triple-A affiliate. Since joining the league, San Antonio is one of three teams with 40 wins and sits in first place in the American Southern Conference.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Missions Ace Reno in Extra Inning Thriller - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Make It Three in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Despite Dean's Quality Start, Isotopes Fall 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Shutout Rainiers in 14-0 Thrashing - Round Rock Express
- Las Vegas Takes Opener from Memphis, 8-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Tacoma Shut out by Express in Saturday Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Davidson's 200th Homer Highlights Sellout Win - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (27-40) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (36-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-39) vs Las Vegas Aviators (36-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes at San Antonio - Reno Aces
- Winning Again with Power Hitting - San Antonio Missions
- Armed and Dangerous: Aviators' Starting Staff on a Roll - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Take Down Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Takes Bees in 10 - Salt Lake Bees
- Homers Lead Bees to Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Fall again to New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Evades Isotopes' Late Charge - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Derail Express 16-3 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Gallen Gets Another Win, 'Cakes Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Complete Three-Game Sweep of the Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada