Rainiers Swept by Sacramento in Sunday Homestand Finale
Tacoma, WA - John Andreoli blasted his first Cheney Stadium home run of the season and Tim Lopes and Ian Miller each had a homer, but the Tacoma Rainiers were swept by the Sacramento River Cats, dropping the three-game series finale on Sunday, 6-5.
Andreoli gave the Rainiers a first inning lead with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first, putting Tacoma (48-53) ahead, 1-0. The first inning leadoff round-tripper is Tacoma's fourth of the year, with Braden Bishop hitting the first three from April 22-May 16.
Sacramento (54-47) took the lead in the top of the third against Tacoma right-hander Mike Wright (0-2), who surrendered four runs across 3 1/3 innings and collected seven strikeouts. Andrew Moore took the hill in the top of the fourth and went 3 1/3 frames of two-run ball with a pair of strikeouts.
Outfielder Miller lifted a solo homer run in the home half of the fifth, his eighth of the campaign to narrow the deficit, 5-2. An inning later, Ryan Court grounded out to second base, scoring Lopes to get Tacoma within two.
In the bottom of the eighth, Tim Lopes put the Rainiers within a run when he launched a two-run bomb over the right field fence. The 24-year old went 3-for-4 and is riding a 14-game hitting streak and has collected hits in 17 of his last 19 games, hitting at a .381 clip over that span (29-for-76).
David McKay tossed a perfect eighth before Parker Markel took over and pitched a scoreless ninth. Both right-handers each collected one strikeout in the effort.
The Rainiers have collected home runs in 13 of their last 15 games, and Sunday marked the club's first three-homer game since a July 6 victory in Fresno.
The Rainiers have the day off on Monday before they hit the road to play the Reno Aces, Triple-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, at Greater Nevada Field for the start of a three-game series and six-game road trip on Tuesday. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. PDT as Tacoma rolls out Darren McCaughan (0-1, 5.40) to the mound. Mike Curto will have full coverage of on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
John Andreoli of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Albuquerque Holds off El Paso Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ruiz Makes His Mark in Triple-A Debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OK City Completes Sweep of Flying Chanclas - San Antonio Missions
- Dukes Defeat El Paso on Retro Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Iowa Takes Series Finale at Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Hitters Struggle for Nashville in Series Finale Loss - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats complete sweep of Rainiers with 6-5 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Swept by Sacramento in Sunday Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Swept by Fresno, Lose Game Three, 11-4 - Reno Aces
- Fresno Sweeps Reno Behind Brandon Snyder's Huge Afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Garcia Powers Redbirds to 13-2 Victory over Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Rojas Doubles Down against Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock at New Orleans Series Finale Postponed - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Brief Three-Game Homestand Begins for Missions Tuesday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host First-Place El Paso from July 23-25 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (40-60) at Omaha Storm Chasers (46-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Plate Five in 11th to Top Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- The One That Got Away - Reno Aces
- Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show