River Cats complete sweep of Rainiers with 6-5 win
TACOMA, Wash. - The Sacramento River Cats (54-47) completed a three-game series sweep of the Tacoma Rainiers (48-53) with a thrilling 6-5 victory on Sunday afternoon.
Sacramento fell behind 1-0 early, but used a two-run second and three-run third inning to take control of the ballgame. Abiatal Avelino did the damage in the second by smacking an opposite field two-run homer to give the River Cats a lead they would not give back. Chris Shaw added to that lead with a mammoth home run, part of the three-run third inning. Later, Joey Rickard drove in a key insurance run with a single up the middle to score Ronnie Freeman and put the River Cats up 6-3 in the seventh.
Enderson Franco turned in a solid performance to keep the River Cats in the game, and picked up his fifth win of the year, going 5.1 innings, allowing three runs on six hits, while fanning four. Tacoma made it interesting late by hitting a two-run jack in the eighth to cut the lead to one, but Fernando Abad came on in the ninth to slam the door and earn his 12th save of the season.
After a Monday off day, Sacramento will head to Fresno on Tuesday to open up a crucial three-game series with the Grizzlies. Lefty Andrew Suarez (5-6, 5.90) will take the mound in the opener, while Fresno will counter with right-hander Logan Ondrusek (4-4, 8.59). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM (PT).
- Outfielder Chris Shaw reached a big milestone when he blasted his 100th career minor league homerun. Shaw has hit 54 of those home runs as a member of the River Cats, which sits fourth in franchise history. Chris Carter is the franchise leader with 65 long balls.
- Sacramento has a plethora of hot bats right now, as four players have active hitting streaks of seven games or more. Henry Ramos, Joey Rickard and Chris Shaw each extended their streaks to seven games on Sunday, while Francisco Pena rides a nine game streak but did not play in the game today.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Albuquerque Holds off El Paso Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ruiz Makes His Mark in Triple-A Debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OK City Completes Sweep of Flying Chanclas - San Antonio Missions
- Dukes Defeat El Paso on Retro Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Iowa Takes Series Finale at Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Hitters Struggle for Nashville in Series Finale Loss - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats complete sweep of Rainiers with 6-5 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Swept by Sacramento in Sunday Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Swept by Fresno, Lose Game Three, 11-4 - Reno Aces
- Fresno Sweeps Reno Behind Brandon Snyder's Huge Afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Garcia Powers Redbirds to 13-2 Victory over Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Rojas Doubles Down against Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock at New Orleans Series Finale Postponed - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Brief Three-Game Homestand Begins for Missions Tuesday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host First-Place El Paso from July 23-25 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (40-60) at Omaha Storm Chasers (46-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Plate Five in 11th to Top Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- The One That Got Away - Reno Aces
- Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health
- Rickard leads River Cats in powerful win over El Paso
- Magic number shrinks to five despite defeat