Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2
Reno, Nevada - The Fresno Grizzlies (51-49) pushed their winning streak to three games after defeating the Reno Aces (42-58) 3-2 from Greater Nevada Field. Fresno righty J.J. Hoover (4-3, win) helped the cause with six innings of one-run ball. Hoover fanned seven as he tied his season-high in innings pitched.
Brandon Snyder provided two of the nine Grizzly hits. His RBI double in the eighth inning ended up as the go-ahead run. Fresno tallied their other runs in the third thanks to Carter Kieboom and Yadiel Hernandez. Andrew Stevenson extended his hit streak to 12 games, a season-long for him. The streak is also a club-high.
Domingo Leyba and Juniel Querecuto notched three hits apiece for Reno. Travis Snider and Carlos Asuaje were the recipients of the Aces RBI. Matt Koch (2-7) suffered the decision after six-plus frames of work while Dakota Bacus mustered his eighth save. Both squads did not record a homer in the game.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- RHP J.J. Hoover (6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K)
- 3B Brandon Snyder (2-4, 2 2B, RBI)
- 2B Carter Kieboom (1-4, 2B, RBI, R)
Top Performers: Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- 3B Juniel Querecuto (3-4, 2B, R, SB)
- SS Domingo Leyba (3-5)
- 2B Carlos Asuaje (1-2, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday July 21 Reno Aces (Away) RHP Scott Copeland (Fresno) vs. RHP Ben Lively (Reno) 1:05 p.m.
KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Fresno will look for a series sweep tomorrow afternoon in Reno. Through 24 series, the Grizzlies have not swept a series or been swept in a series of any length this season. They narrowly avoided a sweep Thursday at Albuquerque while equaling their largest comeback victory of 2019, a 10-9 win after trailing 8-2 before a seven-run sixth inning. Fresno did lose seven straight from April 25 to May 1 without being swept, by winning the opener of five at Reno (April 24), without winning again until the finale of four at home vs. El Paso (May 2).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Albuquerque Holds off El Paso Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ruiz Makes His Mark in Triple-A Debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OK City Completes Sweep of Flying Chanclas - San Antonio Missions
- Dukes Defeat El Paso on Retro Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Iowa Takes Series Finale at Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Hitters Struggle for Nashville in Series Finale Loss - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats complete sweep of Rainiers with 6-5 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Swept by Sacramento in Sunday Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Swept by Fresno, Lose Game Three, 11-4 - Reno Aces
- Fresno Sweeps Reno Behind Brandon Snyder's Huge Afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Garcia Powers Redbirds to 13-2 Victory over Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Rojas Doubles Down against Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock at New Orleans Series Finale Postponed - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Brief Three-Game Homestand Begins for Missions Tuesday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host First-Place El Paso from July 23-25 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (40-60) at Omaha Storm Chasers (46-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Plate Five in 11th to Top Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- The One That Got Away - Reno Aces
- Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.