Garcia Powers Redbirds to 13-2 Victory over Omaha
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Memphis Redbirds jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the third inning and never looked back en route to a 13-2 victory over the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals) Sunday in Omaha, Neb.
Memphis (41-60) scored six times with two outs in third, with Edmundo Sosa opening the scoring with a single. With the bases loaded, Adolis Garcia blasted his second grand slam of the season to give the Redbirds a 5-0 lead. The very next batter, Lane Thomas, hit a solo shot of his own on the first pitch of his at-bat. It was the fourth time the Redbirds have gone back-to-back this season.
Garcia would add an RBI-single in the sixth inning and launched a three-run shot in the eighth for his second of the game. He finished the day by matching a franchise record eight RBI. It is the second-straight season that Garcia has had such a game. He also has three, two-home run games in his last five.
On the mound, Jake Woodford delivered his third quality start in his last five and lowered his season ERA to 3.47 with 7.0 shutout innings. He allowed six hits and fanned seven batters, while issuing three walks. It was the sixth time this season that Woodford has worked 7.0 innings in a start, and it was his fifth start this season with allowing no earned runs.
Kramer Robertson homered for the fifth time this season in the seventh for the Redbirds' third home run of the game. The 'Birds have homered at least three times in game in three of their last four.
Omaha (46-55) scored their first run of the game on a sacrifice fly by Kelvin Gutierrez in the eighth to spoil Memphis' shutout bid and would later add a run in the ninth.
John Nogowski matched a franchise record with four walks drawn and the Redbirds overall set a season-high with 12 free passes in the game, just one shy of matching the franchise record of 13. Nogowski is the first Redbird to draw four walks in a game since Chad Huffman on May 3, 2017 at Iowa.
Randy Arozarena walked and scored a run, and he has now reached base in 22-straight starts.
Kodi Whitley made his Triple-A debut in the eighth and whiffed the first batter he faced. He finished his outing by allowing one run on one hit in his one inning of work. Junior Fernandez also made an appearance in relief, allowing one run on one hit to finish the game.
During this three-game series with the Storm Chasers, the Redbirds went 11-for-30 (.367) with runners in scoring position and homered nine times. They finish the season at Werner Park with a 6-2 record, with both defeats coming in walk-off fashion.
Memphis has a scheduled off day tomorrow and the Redbirds return to AutoZone Park on Tuesday for a three-game series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, July 24 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, July 25 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; Redbirds Cooler specialty ticket available on Ole Miss Night presented by Sayle Oil; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Wednesday, July 31 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 1 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 2 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat tacos buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Chick-fil-A Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Chick-fil-A at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 3 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Back to School Night presented by Walmart with a free fully-loaded backpack to the first 1,500 kids ages 12 and under; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 4 at 2:05: Redbirds Wiffle Bat giveaway to the first 2,000 fans presented by Prairie Farms Dairy; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 5 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Albuquerque Holds off El Paso Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ruiz Makes His Mark in Triple-A Debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OK City Completes Sweep of Flying Chanclas - San Antonio Missions
- Dukes Defeat El Paso on Retro Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Iowa Takes Series Finale at Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Hitters Struggle for Nashville in Series Finale Loss - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats complete sweep of Rainiers with 6-5 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Swept by Sacramento in Sunday Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Swept by Fresno, Lose Game Three, 11-4 - Reno Aces
- Fresno Sweeps Reno Behind Brandon Snyder's Huge Afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Garcia Powers Redbirds to 13-2 Victory over Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Rojas Doubles Down against Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-45) - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock at New Orleans Series Finale Postponed - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Brief Three-Game Homestand Begins for Missions Tuesday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host First-Place El Paso from July 23-25 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (40-60) at Omaha Storm Chasers (46-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Plate Five in 11th to Top Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- The One That Got Away - Reno Aces
- Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.