Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats
EL PASO, Texas - The Sacramento River Cats (69-62) allowed seven runs in two separate innings, falling 18-8 on Saturday night to the El Paso Chihuahuas (76-55).
After giving up seven runs to the Chihuahuas in the fourth inning, the River Cats made a brief comeback by cutting the deficit to three thanks to back-to-back three spots in the sixth and seventh innings. The big blow came off the bat of first baseman Chris Shaw, who cracked his 18th home run of the season to bring his RBI total for the ballgame to five with the three-run shot.
But seven additional runs would cross the plate for El Paso in the bottom half of the seventh, cementing their blowout win.
Right-hander Burch Smith (7-3, 2.28) will take the ball for Sacramento in Sunday's series finale while El Paso will go with lefty LHP Dillon Overton (8-5, 6.10). First pitch is set for 5:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
With a Reno loss in tonight's game against Salt Lake, Sacramento's magic number to clinch the Pacific Northern division dropped to one. Interestingly, since Reno's game Sunday starts four hours before Sacramento's, the River Cats could win the division title before the first pitch of their ballgame.
It was another productive night at the plate for outfielder Joey Rickard (1-for-3 with two walks), who has now reached base a whopping 12 times in his last three games. In last night's ballgame, El Paso failed to retire him as he went 4-for-4 with two walks.
The 18 runs allowed by the River Cats' pitching staff on Saturday night were the most this season since they surrendered 17 on June 27 in El Paso against these same Chihuahuas.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics