River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale
EL PASO, Texas - The Sacramento River Cats (69-63) had a chance to secure their 12th division title on Sunday evening, but it was not meant to be, as the El Paso Chihuahuas (77-75) shut out Sacramento 6-0 behind a gem from lefty Dillon Overton.
Starter Burch Smith was excellent through the first three frames for the River Cats, but ran into trouble in the middle innings, allowing runs in the fourth, fifth, and sixth. The right-hander was tagged for six runs (five earned) in 5.1 innings of work while striking out seven Chihuahuas batters in a losing effort.
Right-handers Sam Wolff and Dan Winkler were nails out of the bullpen, combing for 3.2 innings of scoreless baseball and allowing just two hits. Winkler continues to be a force in relief as he has yet to give up a run on the road. He has only allowed one earned run in 10.2 innings this season with Sacramento.
The offense was led by Joey Rickard and Mauricio Dubon who collected two hits apiece, but the River Cats were held to just seven total hits, none for extra bases, and were unable to get on the scoreboard for the sixth time this season.
The River Cats will finish the regular season at home for the final eight games. Right-hander Johnny Cueto (0-0, No ERA) will be on the mound in a rehab start for Sacramento, and Reno will counter with righty Matt Koch (4-9, 7.69). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
With eight games remaining, the River Cats need just one win or one Reno loss to clinch their first division title since 2012. Sacramento has four games with Reno and four games with El Paso remaining.
San Francisco Giants' pitcher Johnny Cueto will make his fifth rehab start as he works back from Tommy John surgery, which has kept him out for nearly a year - his last Major League appearance was on August 28, 2018.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics