New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The New Orleans Baby Cakes (69-61) avoided a series sweep at the hands of the Round Rock Express (79-53) thanks to a narrow 2-1 victory in Sunday night's finale at Dell Diamond. The E-Train was limited to just three hits in the last-ever meeting between the two clubs.
New Orleans RHP Joe Gunkel (7-2, 3.97) was sharp in the win, holding Round Rock to a run on three hits while walking two in 7.0 innings. On the losing end, Express RHP Brendan McCurry (3-4, 4.13) gave up the go-ahead run on a total of four hits in 2.0 innings of relief.
In his Triple-A debut after being promoted from Double-A Corpus Christi over the weekend, Express starter RHP Cristian Javier limited the Baby Cakes scoreless on just two hits and two walks while racking up eight strikeouts in 6.0 strong innings.
The two teams traded four scoreless innings before Round Rock broke through in the fifth on a solo Lorenzo Quintana home run, his third in as many days.
New Orleans rallied to tie the game with rehabbing Houston Astros RHP Josh James on in relief in the seventh. 2B Deven Marrero collected a one-out single before promptly stealing second base. An ensuing Peter O'Brien double plated Marrero to level the score at 1-1. James finished having allowed just the one run on two hits while picking up a strikeout in an inning of relief.
The visitors pulled ahead for good in the eighth thanks to a Magneuris Sierra leadoff single followed by a McCurry throwing error on a pickoff attempt that moved the infielder to second. Following a Rosell Herrera groundout that pushed Sierra to third, SS Yadiel Rivera doubled home the go-ahead run to put New Orleans up 2-1.
Baby Cakes RHP Brett Graves threw a perfect 1-2-3 ninth inning of relief to pick up the save and preserve the narrow victory in the final meeting between the two clubs before the New Orleans franchise moves to Wichita, Kansas following the season.
With a one-game lead in the Pacific Coast League's American Southern Division, the Express now turn their attention to the second-place San Antonio Missions (Milwaukee Brewers affiliate), who come to town for a four-game set beginning on Monday night. Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (4-3, 5.04) is slated to take the mound against San Antonio RHP Shelby Miller (1-1, 3.12) in the series opener. First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched