Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas
Tacoma, WA - Right-hander Mike Wright dealt nearly six innings of one-run baseball on Saturday and Braden Bishop clobbered an eighth inning two-run home run, but the Tacoma Rainiers suffered their fourth loss in-a-row with a 4-2 defeat against the Las Vegas Aviators at Cheney Stadium.
Wright (2-4) made the start for the Rainiers (58-72) and went 5 2/3 innings, giving up one run on four hits, with two walks and eight punchouts.
Bishop's home run came in the eighth when Las Vegas (79-52) had a 4-0 advantage. The outfielder's two-run home run to left field cut the deficit in half and was his eighth of the year with Tacoma. Bishop has been on the Major League IL since June 5 recovering from a lacerated spleen.
John Andreoli put together a standout day at the dish as well, going 1-for-4 with a double. Franklin Barreto led the Las Vegas lineup, going 2-for-4 with a home run and an RBI.
As a team, Tacoma pushed across their two runs in the contest off six hits, two of which went for extra bases, including one home run. The Rainiers didn't get any extra help from Las Vegas pitchers either, as they drew only one free pass.
Gerson Bautista pitched 1 1/3 innings in relief, surrendering a pair of runs, and Matt Carasiti threw the final two frames and gave up one tally while striking out a pair.
The Rainiers wrap up their series with the Aviators on Sunday at 1:35 PM PDT at Cheney Stadium, the final home game of the season for Tacoma. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found on WeRTacoma.com, or by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers) and by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Tacoma Rainiers pitcher Mike Wright
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno