Iowa Drops Series against Nashville
DES MOINES, IA - A five-run sixth inning gave the Nashville Sounds (61-69) a 7-5 victory over the Iowa Cubs (70-62) in a rubber game on Sunday afternoon at Principal Park.
The Sounds opened the scoring in the first inning with four consecutive hits to plate a pair of runs. Iowa quickly answered the early scoring with Donnie Dewees coming around to score after a leadoff double in the bottom half of the frame to cut the deficit to 2-1.
In the fourth inning, Iowa took the lead with a three-run blast from Robel Garcia. The shot was his 19th big fly of the season. Another Iowa home run, this one off the bat of Dewees, extended the lead to 5-2 in the fifth.
After allowing the two runs in the first, Iowa starter Alec Mills allowed one hit over his next four frames, including three 1-2-3 innings. Trouble struck for the righty in the sixth as three hits and a walk brought in a pair of runs, before Christian Lopes nailed a two-out, three-run homer to give the Sounds a 7-5 lead. Mills' outing ended after 6.0 innings with the righty coming away with seven runs allowed on nine hits.
Wyatt Short and James Norwood kept the Sounds' deficit at two by allowing one hit over the final three frames with five strikeouts, but Nashville held the I-Cubs scoreless in the final four innings to take the game 7-5.
- Alec Mills' seven earned runs allowed matches a career high set on Aug. 12, 2018 at New Orleans.
- Robel Garcia's 19 home runs are second on the team in just 70 games played. Trent Giambrone leads the pack with 23 in 120 games.
- James Norwood spun his fourth-straight hitless outing (5.0 IP) and his sixth-straight scoreless outing (8.0 IP).
The I-Cubs hit the road for a four-game series with Oklahoma City beginning on Monday. Iowa returns home for the final regular season series running Aug. 31-Sept. 2. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.