Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Missions continued their hunt for the playoffs with a successful series sweep against the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Home runs from Tyrone Taylor and Corey Ray were all the Missions needed in a 4-0 victory Sunday night. Missions pitchers combined to allow just three hits in a shutout performance.
The Missions didn't waste much time in putting runs on the board. Troy Stokes Jr. reached on a hit by pitch and Tyler Austin reached on a walk. Following a successful double steal, Tyrone Taylor unloaded a three-run home run to give the Missions an early 3-0 lead. The home run extended his hitting streak to 12 games and was his 13th of the season.
After being scoreless for five innings, the Missions added an insurance run in the seventh inning. Corey Ray went opposite field for a solo home run to give the Missions a 4-0 lead. It was his sixth home run of the season.
Brent Suter served as the opener for the Missions. In his fourth appearance and second start for the club, he allowed one hit, no runs, no walks, and struck out six batters in four innings pitched. Zack Brown recorded his third win of the season after coming out of the bullpen. He pitched three scoreless innings in relief, allowing one hit, and striking out three batters. His record improves to 3-7.
Bubba Derby recorded his first career save, replacing Angel Perdomo with two on and two outs in the ninth inning.
Other than the home run, Taylor reached base in all four hit at-bats as he doubled and walked twice.
J.D. Martin was the starting pitcher for the Dodgers. In five innings of work, he allowed three earned runs on five hits, two walks, and one strikeout. With the loss, he falls to 3-2 on the season.
In a losing effort, Ben Moore and Zach McKinstry collected the only two hits for the Dodgers.
The Missions hit the road for a crucial four-game series at Round Rock starting Monday night. Right-hander Shelby Miller (1-1, 3.12) is scheduled to start for the Missions. Round Rock has yet to announce their starter. First pitch will be at 7:05 p.m.
With the win, San Antonio improved to 78-54 on the season.
Tyrone Taylor extended his season-long hitting streak to 12 games after launching a three-run home run in the first inning.
The Missions set a new team high for stolen bases in a game after stealing five bases. Troy Stokes Jr. and Tyler Austin each had two stolen bases which tied their career highs.
The Missions improved to 14-2 in shutout games this season.
Saturday's win was the 49th home win of the season for San Antonio, which is good for the second most home wins in a season since 1994
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative