Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday
Albuquerque, NM - In the last road game of the regular season, the Fresno Grizzlies (58-74) clipped the Albuquerque Isotopes (57-75) 5-3 from "The Lab." Fresno split the series and improved to 13-7 on Sundays (8-3 away). Scott Copeland (5-5, win), Sam Freeman (hold) and James Bourque (save, 3) limited the Albuquerque offense to six hits en route to the victory.
Copeland was magnificent for the Grizzlies. The righty tied a career-high with nine strikeouts over seven innings. He allowed two earned runs on five hits and one walk. Freeman followed Copeland with a scoreless eighth. The lefty has two straight shutout outings since joining the club as a free agent. Bourque concluded the contest with a punchout. Prior to the final out, Carter Kieboom started an outstanding 4-6-3 double play.
Three solo shots by the Fresno lineup helped the pitching staff. Matt Reynolds led the game off with an opposite field blast. It was his second consecutive contest going deep. Yadiel Hernandez joined the party in the third, launching his 30th of the year to dead center. Hernandez evened Brandon Snyder for the squad-high. He is the seventh Grizzly all-time to reach 30 dingers in a single-season. Taylor Gushue rounded out the longball activity with the go-ahead wallop in the eighth. Gushue also had an insurance RBI in the ninth. Luis Sardinas enjoyed the other RBI after a triple to center.
Roberto Ramos supplied the Isotopes with two runs in the first after belting a bomb to left field. He became the second Albuquerque batter to record 100 RBI this year (Sam Hilliard yesterday). Drew Butera added the other RBI, plating Noel Cuevas. Harrison Musgrave (0-2) took the defeat. The Grizzlies start their final homestand Monday at Chukchansi Park.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- RHP Scott Copeland (7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 K)
- CF Matt Reynolds (2-3, HR, RBI, R, 2 BB, SB)
- C Taylor Gushue (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- RF Yadiel Hernandez (2-5, HR, RBI, R)
- SS Luis Sardinas (3-4, 3B, RBI)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- 1B Roberto Ramos (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, R, BB)
- C Drew Butera (1-3, RBI)
- LHP Pat Dean (7.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday August 26 Tacoma Rainiers (Home) LHP Ben Braymer (Fresno) vs. LHP Anthony Misiewicz (Tacoma) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: The 2017 Grizzlies' franchise record of 200 home runs is in peril; this year's club is ahead of the pace, tracking to hit 207 homers (195, eight games left). While baseballs may be different this season, the 2017 PCL schedule was 142 games when Fresno led all of Minor League Baseball in home runs. The 2019 Grizzlies will play 140 games or fewer. Brandon Snyder and Yadiel Hernandez (30) are tied for fourth all-time on the single-season homer list, four behind A.J. Reed's mark in 2017.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Overton Leads Mound Effort in 6-0 Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizzlies down Isotopes 5-3 Sunday - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats settle for series split after dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Series Finale from Albuquerque, 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Stifle OKC Offense Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New Orleans Avoids Sweep with 2-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Beat Express 2-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Sweep OKC Behind Two Home Runs - San Antonio Missions
- Cron Wins It for Reno in 2019 Home Finale - Reno Aces
- Walsh Homers Three Times in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Win 14th Game in Last 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Drops Series against Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (64-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-75) - Memphis Redbirds
- Preparing for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Win 11-7 in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- No Magic for Reno on Wizarding World Night - Reno Aces
- Wright Offers Strong Outing, Rainiers Out-Hit Late by Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Pair of seven-run innings sink River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Score Seven Twice, Roll 18-8 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brandon Snyder goes deep but Albuquerque beats Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Explode for 17 Runs in Victory over Grizzlies - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Open Six-Packs on Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th