Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins
Springfield, MA - The Providence Bruins defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds Saturday night 4-3 in the road half of their home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got two goals from Peter Cehlarik along with goals from Trent Frederic and Paul Carey while Zane McIntyre made his 23rd start of the season in net.
Providence was awarded four power plays in the opening period, which helped them outshoot Springfield 15-2 in the frame and score the only two goals of the period. Cehlarik netted his ninth goal of the season 9:21 into the first on the man advantage, taking a perfect pass from Urho Vaakanainen at the top of the left circle and one-timing a shot at the bottom of the right circle by Chris Driedger. Frederic made it a two-goal lead on the power play with 3:15 left in the first, scoring his eighth goal of the year. On a similar play to their first goal, Gemel Smith sent the puck down low to Frederic who one-timed a shot Driedger had no chance of stopping to send Providence to the intermission up 2-0.
Cehlarik potted his second goal of the night at 12:46 after strong work from his entire line. Carey, acquired in a trade yesterday, started the play with a strong forecheck that led to a turnover. Smith gathered the puck and centered the it to Cehlarik alone backdoor. He hit the open net for his 10th goal of the season, a tally that put him atop the P-Bruins season scoring list and put his team up 3-0. Springfield cut the P-Bruin lead down on the power play at 16:28 as Matt Marcinew beat McIntyre from the slot, but Providence still brought a 3-1 lead into the second intermission.
Springfield rode the momentum of their late goal into the third, scoring a 5-on-3 goal 4:22 into the final period on a breakaway from Sebastian Repo. Providence held a one-goal lead much of the frame but with just 1:52 left and the goalie pulled, Dryden Hunt gathered a loose puck in a scrum and scored to tie things up 3-3. The P-Bruins responded 51 seconds later with their line of Cehlarik-Smith-Carey, giving them a lead they would not relinquish. Smith chipped the puck ahead to Cehlarik who fed a streaking Carey up the right side. The newest Bruin picked the top right corner of the net for his first goal in the "spoked P" and Providence won 4-3.
McIntyre stopped 19-22 shots while Driedger stopped 25-29 shots. Providence was 2-7 on the power play and 5-7 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins conclude their home-and-home with Springfield tomorrow afternoon in Providence as the welcome the T-Birds to the Dunk at 3:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.