Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win
(Allentown, PA - January 12, 2019)- The Hershey Bears erupt with three goals in the second period to beat the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-0 on Saturday night at the PPL Center in Allentown. The win snapped a nine-game losing streak at the PPL Center, which dated back to Apr. 5, 2017. Ilya Samsonov stopped all 18 shots to record his first career AHL shutout.
The Bears dominated the opening 20 minutes, but were not rewarded on the score sheet despite a 15-5 shot advantage. Into the second frame, Hershey's fortunes changed with another high-end effort for 20 minutes. Ryan Sproul opened the scoring at 2:58 after snapping a wicked wrist shot past Phantoms goaltender Alex Lyon. The play occurred on an offensive zone transition where Juuso Ikonen sent a drop pass for Sproul, who was trailing the play.
Later in the period, Riley Barber scored a pair of 4-on-4 goals to provide his club a 3-0 advantage. At 11:27, Barber danced around the net on a quick wraparound and beat Lyon to the right post. Less than five minutes later, Barber scored unassisted on a 2-on-1 rush past Lyon's short-side at 16:15. Shots after 40 minutes were 27-9 Hershey. Samsonov helped the Bears kill a 5-on-3 disadvantage early in the third period to keep the 3-0 lead in tact. Hershey's penalty kill responded with a 3-for-3 game after going 3-for-7 in the previous night against Springfield.
The Hershey Bears return to action tomorrow with a rematch against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at Giant Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 5 p.m. It's PSECU Knit Cap Night. First 4,000 fans will receive a knit cap, courtesy of PSECU. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.