Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (21-8-1-3) welcomed the Ontario Reign (11-17-3-2) (Los Angeles Kings) to SAP Center at San Jose on Friday in the third consecutive matchup between the Pacific Division rivals. After each team scored in the second period, the Reign would tally late in the third before adding an empty-netter en-route to the 3-1 win.
The game on Friday marked Barracuda Captain John McCarthy's 500th AHL game within the Sharks organization. McCarthy is the Barracuda's leader in games played (222), points (118), goals (52), and assists (66).
The first period went by rather quietly as both teams failed to break through and entered the first intermission knotted at zero.
However, less than one minute into the second period, the Reign would light the lamp for the first time in the game. After Jake Middleton was called for tripping at the 28 second mark, Matt Moulson (10) took a pass from Matt Roy and fired the puck short-side past Josef Korenar to give the Reign a 1-0 lead. The Barracuda would not respond until there was 5:06 remaining in the second when they went on the power-play. Rourke Chartier (3) made the most of his reassignment earlier in the day from the Sharks as he would carry the puck below the right faceoff circle before sniping a wrist shot over the shoulder of Reign goalie Cal Petersen to even the score at 1-1. The game remained tied entering the second intermission.
In the third, the first 15 minutes of the period passed without another goal, but the Barracuda possessed a majority of the chances as they looked to gain their first lead. However, as the period dwindled Korenar would come out of his net to play a puck below the goal line with 1:38 remaining in the game and Ontario captain Brett Sutter (9) would intercept the pass intended for Nick DeSimone and wrap in what would turn out to be the game winner.
The Reign would follow up with an empty-net goal by Moulson (11) to seal the game with 1:09 remaining.
The loss was San Jose's first against Ontario this season in five games.
The victory on Friday snapped a seven-game losing streak for the Reign, thanks in large part to Reign goalie Cal Petersen who made 37 saves on 38 shots.
Next up for the Barracuda is a Sunday matinee game against the Stockton Heat at 3 PM on Sunday, January 11th at SAP Center at San Jose. Upon entry to Sunday's contest the first 4,000 fans will receive a Worcester Sharks replica jersey and fans can bid on specialty team issued jersey during the game. You can follow the game live on the Sharks App, 1220 KDOW, or online on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.