Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2
UTICA, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Utica Comets, 3-2, tonight at the Adirondack Bank Center.
The loss puts the Crunch on a season-high four-game winless streak and drops the team to 21-12-2-1 on the season. The Comets now lead the 12-game season series, 3-2.
Goaltender Eddie Pasquale made 23 saves in net for the Crunch. Ivan Kulbakov earned the win stopping 28-of-30 in net for the Comets. Syracuse was unable to convert on four power play opportunities, but went 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Comets capitalized on a 5-on-3 advantage just 2:28 into the game. Tanner Kero threw the puck down low for Jonathan Dahlen to try and redirect in. His initial attempt was blocked, but he jammed in his own rebound. Zack MacEwen earned the secondary assist.
Utica doubled their lead with 1:08 remaining in the second period. Tom Pyatt came in on a 2-on-1 and threw a cross-slot feed for Reid Boucher to one-time. His shot was blocked, but Tanner Kero came in behind the play and chipped in the second chance.
Syracuse finally got on the board 4:01 into the final frame. Andy Andreoff flew down the right-wing side and tossed the puck towards the net. It ricocheted off a Comets defender and in. Cameron Gaunce tallied the assist.
The Comets reclaimed their two-goal lead with 2:11 remaining in the game. Brendan Gaunce tucked in a rebound with the help of Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks.
Cory Conacher pulled the Crunch back within one off a wrister from the right circle with 29 seconds remaining in the game with the help of Nolan Valleau and Gaunce. The goal was not enough to generate a late comeback and the team fell to the Comets.
The Crunch rematch the Comets on the road this Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Cameron Gaunce played in his 600th professional game tonight and registered his 200th AHL point tonight...Andy Andreoff recorded his 100th AHL point tonight.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly
- Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win AHL Scoring Races
- Crunch Edged by Comets, 4-3, in Shootout