Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, faced the Iowa Wild in in tonight's contest. The team battled back from a first period deficit to come out on top of a 4-2 victory. Joel L'Esperance recorded three points and has seven goals in the last six games.
Colton Hargrove opened scoring just 2:14 into the game on a feed from Adam Mascherin. He crossed the blue line and beat Kappo Kahkonen on his right side to give the Stars the first advantage of the game. Sam Anas and Matt Read quickly responded for Iowa, scoring a pair of goals just 20 seconds apart to steal the Stars early lead, in under a minute.
L'Esperance wasted no time getting the equalizer for his team, scoring 4:46 into the middle period. Stars defenseman Dilon Heatherington made a cross-ice pass that bounced off Matt Bartkowsi and right in front of Kahkonen. Each team battled for the loose puck, and L'Esperance was able to tuck it into the goal, the beginning of another multi-goal night for the league-leading rookie scorer.
After five minutes passed, the Stars regained the lead. L'Esperance carried the puck into the zone off a faceoff and dealt it to Michael Mersch to take Kahkonen one-on-one. The forward went bar down for his ninth goal of the campaign. As icing on the cake, L'Esperance tossed his 22nd goal of the season into the empty net with seconds left in the third period to make it a 4-2 game.
The Stars penalty kill played a huge roll in the game halting all three Iowa opportunities. Texas also outshot the Wild 38-27 in the game.
Philippe Desrosiers started in his first game at home since November 24th, and held down the fort for his team, earning his third win of the season. After the early back-to-back goals, Desrosiers made 25 saves to hold Iowa from scoring for the remainder of the game The Stars extend their point streak at the H-E-B Center to eleven straight games.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
Joel L'Esperance (TEX)
Michael Mersch (TEX)
Colton Hargrove (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and continue their home-stand against the Bakersfield Condors on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7:00 p.m. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.