Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Binghamton Devils, 5-4, on Saturday night at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena. With the loss, the Monsters drop to 18-15-4-1 overall this season and with 41 points, move into a tie for fifth place in the AHL's North Division standings with the Devils.
The Devils got on the board first in the opening frame, getting an even-strength marker from Marian Studenic at 13:32 to give Binghamton an early 1-0 advantage. Cleveland answered quickly when Dan DeSalvo netted a power-play goal at 17:48 of the period on feeds from Adam Clendening and Justin Scott to tie the game, 1-1.
In the middle frame, the Devils jumped back in front when Nathan Bastian lit the lamp at 7:54 to give the Binghamton the lead once again, 2-1. The Devils tacked on three more goals in the second period, receiving even-strength goals from Egor Sharangovich at 14:09, Brian Ward at 15:25, and Nick Saracino at 15:55, to give Binghamton a 5-1 lead heading into the second intermission.
Cleveland struck early in the final period as DeSalvo picked up his second tally of the game, this one an even-strength strike unassisted at 1:38 to trim the Devils lead to 5-2. Moments later, Vitaly Abramov potted home an even-strength goal of his own, this one at 3:02 of the frame with assists from Ryan MacInnis and Dillon Simpson to close the gap a little further, 5-3. Justin Scott pulled the Monsters to within one thanks to a six-on-five tally at 17:53 courtesy of feeds from Clendening and Alex Broadhurst, giving the Devils a 5-4 home win.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 17 of the 22 shots he faced to drop to 11-11-3 on the season, while Devils netminder Evan Cormier stopped 32 of the 36 shots he faced to improve to 4-1-0 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road matchup versus the Laval Rocket with full coverage, live from Place Bell in Laval, QC, underway at 7:30 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube vs. the Binghamton Devils
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy to Monsters from OHL's London Knights
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Zac Dalpe to Monsters
- Monsters Sign Goaltender Jeff Smith to Professional Tryout Contract
- Monsters Playoff Schedule and Fan Information Announced
- Blue Jackets Recall Center Zac Dalpe from Monsters