Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Binghamton Devils, 5-4, on Saturday night at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena. With the loss, the Monsters drop to 18-15-4-1 overall this season and with 41 points, move into a tie for fifth place in the AHL's North Division standings with the Devils.
The Devils got on the board first in the opening frame, getting an even-strength marker from Marian Studenic at 13:32 to give Binghamton an early 1-0 advantage. Cleveland answered quickly when Dan DeSalvo netted a power-play goal at 17:48 of the period on feeds from Adam Clendening and Justin Scott to tie the game, 1-1.
In the middle frame, the Devils jumped back in front when Nathan Bastian lit the lamp at 7:54 to give the Binghamton the lead once again, 2-1. The Devils tacked on three more goals in the second period, receiving even-strength goals from Egor Sharangovich at 14:09, Brian Ward at 15:25, and Nick Saracino at 15:55, to give Binghamton a 5-1 lead heading into the second intermission.
Cleveland struck early in the final period as DeSalvo picked up his second tally of the game, this one an even-strength strike unassisted at 1:38 to trim the Devils lead to 5-2. Moments later, Vitaly Abramov potted home an even-strength goal of his own, this one at 3:02 of the frame with assists from Ryan MacInnis and Dillon Simpson to close the gap a little further, 5-3. Justin Scott pulled the Monsters to within one thanks to a six-on-five tally at 17:53 courtesy of feeds from Clendening and Alex Broadhurst, giving the Devils a 5-4 home win.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 17 of the 22 shots he faced to drop to 11-11-3 on the season, while Devils netminder Evan Cormier stopped 32 of the 36 shots he faced to improve to 4-1-0 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road matchup versus the Laval Rocket with full coverage, live from Place Bell in Laval, QC, underway at 7:30 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube vs. the Binghamton Devils
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.