Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils held on for a 5-4 victory over the visiting Cleveland Monsters on Saturday night behind a four-goal second period in front of 3,801 at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
The Devils caught a break to take a 1-0 lead at 13:32 of the opening period. Marian Studenic sent a shot on net that deflected up and over the shoulder of goaltender Jean-Francois Berube for a one-goal lead. The goal was Studenic's 10th of the year with the lone assist to Egor Sharangovich.
Cleveland evened the game on the power play as Dan DeSalvo blasted a one timer over the shoulder of goaltender Evan Cormier. Adam Clendening set up the pass to DeSalvo who recorded his second goal of the year with just 2:12 left in the first. Assists on the tying goal were given to Clendening and Justin Scott and the game was tied at one after one.
Binghamton poured in four goals in the second period to take a 5-1 lead after 40 minutes, including three goals in a span of 1:46. Nathan Bastian started the scoring as he beat Berube on a breakaway after a great tap pass by Brandon Baddock at 7:54.
Sharangovich got in on the scoring to move the lead to two goals at 14:09. Marian Studenic split the defense using his speed and fed Sharangovich who beat Berube for his eighth of the year to give the Devils a 3-1 advantage. Assists were credited to Studenic and Nick Saracino.
Blake Speers helped set up Brian Ward's first AHL goal to give the Devils a 4-1 lead at 15:25 of the second frame. Speers cut into the offensive zone and fed Colton White who found Ward in front of the net for the three-goal lead.
Just 30 seconds after Ward's goal, Saracino gave the Devils a 5-1 lead as he beat Berube, unassisted, at 15:55 and Binghamton took a four-goal lead into the final period with the shots all even at 20.
In the third period, Cleveland scored twice in the first 3:02 to pull within two as DeSalvo scored his second of the night and third of the year at the 1:38 mark. Vitaly Abramov put one in 34 seconds later for his sixth of the season to decrease the Devils' lead to two, 5-3.
Cleveland pulled Berube late in the game and made it a one-goal game 2:07 remaining. From the goal line left of Cormier's net, Scott sent the puck off of Cormier and in with assists from Broadhurst and Clendening. The Devils' lead was cut to one with the net still empty for the remaining of the game. Binghamton held off a late push and the Devils secured their fourth win in a row, 5-4. Cormier stopped 32 of 36 for his third win in a row, and of the week.
The Devils are back home Wednesday night as they host the Hershey Bears for the only time this season at 7:05 p.m. It's the final Dollar Dog Night where fans can score $1 Nathan's hotdogs, $4 beer, and kids 12 and under get $10 tickets!
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils vs. the Cleveland Monsters
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.