Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba
MANITOBA - It was a multi-point night for Xavier Ouellet, Daniel Audette, Jake Evans, Byron Froese and Antoine Waked at the Bell MTS Place on Saturday night and nine different Rocket players registered at least a point in Laval's 6-5 shootout victory over the Manitoba Moose. Audette claimed the first star honours in the victory as he scored two goals, one assist, and netted the lone goal in the shootout.
The Moose opened the scoring early in the first as Brent Pedersen snuck the puck by Charlie Lindgren in the first two minutes of the game, but the period would end tied at two a piece due to three powerplay goals that occurred in the final five minutes of the period. The first was in favour of the Rocket as Ouellet's wrist shot deflected off of Alex Belzile and behind Eric Comrie, who was in goal for the Moose. Manitoba's powerplay goal shortly thereafter gave them a 2-1 lead, but Evans set up Audette for his first goal and second point of the night to tie it at two by period's end.
Laval took their first lead of the game early in the second period as Waked picked up Lukas Vejdemo's shorthanded breakway rebound, but two second period goals for the home team meant that the Rocket were trailing by one heading into the third.
Audette's second of the game came early in the third period while once again on the powerplay, as he wristed the puck from the top of the faceoff circles and beat Comrie down low on his glove side. Nikita Jevpalovs added to the scoreboard for Laval three minutes after Audette with his eighth of the season, which gave Joël Bouchard's troops a 5-4 lead. The Moose tied the game with under five minutes remaining however to send the teams to overtime and eventually to a shootout, where Audette netted the game-winner for the Rocket.
"Our powerplay was really solid tonight," said Audette after the game in reference to their three powerplay goals. "Everyone was on the same page and it makes a big difference for the team."
LAV: Belzile (Ouellet, Audette) | Audette (Evans, Froese) | Waked (Vejdemo, Schlemko) | Audette (Ouellet, Evans) | Jevpalovs (Waked, Froese) | Audette (shootout)
MB: Pedersen (Shaw, Nogier) | Harkins (Poolman, McKenzie) | Spacek (Griffith, Schilling) | Stanley (D'Aoust, Harkins) | Dano (Lipon, Spacek)
LAV: Lindgren (29/34) | MB: Comrie (31/36)
Rocket Powerplay: 3/5| Rocket Penalty Kill: 5/7
Three Stars: 1. Daniel Audette - LAV | 2. Jensen Harkins - MB | 3. Jake Evans - LAV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 12 - Belleville Senators
- Sens Clip Griffins in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Answer Back - Toronto Marlies
- Audette Scores Twice, Nets Shooutout Gamewinner in 6-5 Victory over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Starrett Turns Aside 28 Shots to Blank Eagles, 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Steal a Shutout in Colorado, 2-0 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Force Overtime but Fall in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins in First Place After 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Net Three Unanswered Goals, Top Wild 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falters against Texas in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Can't Fly with Gulls - Milwaukee Admirals
- Fourth Straight PPL Center Sellout Crowd for Lehigh Valley Sees Phantoms Lose - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Dominate at Milwaukee - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Play Road Warriors in 4-2 Win at Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Down Monsters for Fourth-Straight Win, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Hartford snaps Bridgeport's franchise-record 15-game point streak at home - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Samsonov Earns First AHL Shutout in 3-0 Win - Hershey Bears
- Three-Goal T-Birds' Comeback Thwarted by Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Newcomer Carey Nets Late Game-Winner for P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Comeback Falls Short for Monsters in 5-4 Loss to Devils - Cleveland Monsters
- Kulbakov Shuts Down Crunch in 3-2 Win - Utica Comets
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Get Revenge with 5-3 Win over Pens - Charlotte Checkers
- Smith's Hat Trick Helps Amerks Turn the Tables on Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game #34 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat365 Memberships for 15th Season of Stockton Hockey on Sale Now - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Close Home Stand against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Rockford Snags Point Thanks to Special Teams Surge - Rockford IceHogs
- Moulson Pots a Pair in Reign Victory - Ontario Reign
- Late Ontario Goal Drops San Jose - San Jose Barracuda
- Rutta Traded to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Slow Start Hinders Roadrunners in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rampage Top Wild for Ninth Straight Home Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Specialty Teams Play Pivotal Role in Eagles 6-3 Win over Condors - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Torch Tucson - Chicago Wolves
- Gust Scores Twice in Condors Loss to Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.