Nailers Sweep Four-Game Homestand
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers had a tremendous first homestand of the season, as they won all four games at WesBanco Arena. On Saturday night, Wheeling scored three goals in a span of 2:41 in the second period, and Alex D'Orio made 35 saves, as the Nailers defeated the Reading Royals, 3-1. Jan Drozg netted the deciding goal for the second straight contest.
The Royals picked up the lone goal of the first period at the 10:47 mark. Ralph Cuddemi picked up a loose puck on the left side of the crease, and proceeded to tuck it into the net.
Wheeling turned things around in a big way during the middle frame, starting with a successful penalty kill, which led to a goal in a matter of 16 seconds. Nick Saracino delivered a perfect pass to Myles Powell, who tapped in the feed on the right side of the crease. 15 seconds later, the Nailers took the lead. Cam Brown's pass bounced off of Jan Drozg and into the net. The original call was no goal, but the first overturned video review in WesBanco Arena history gave Wheeling the answer it was looking for. 2:26 after that, another puck found the back of the net, as Christopher Brown tipped home Yushiroh Hirano's center point wrist shot on the power play.
Reading turned up its pressure in the third period, but Alex D'Orio and the Nailers defense didn't budge, keeping the door shut to punctuate the 3-1 victory.
Alex D'Orio was phenomenal in goal for Wheeling, earning his third straight win with 35 saves on 36 shots, including 16 stops in the third. Felix Sandstrom took the loss for the Royals, allowing three goals on 21 shots.
The Nailers will be back in action next Saturday night, when they travel to Kalamazoo for a 7:05 game against the Wings. Wheeling's next home game is Military Appreciation Night on November 8th at 7:05 against the Reading Royals. Joe Everson will sing and paint the Star Spangled Banner in a one-of-a-kind performance. The next Big-6 promotional game is Be Our Neighbor Night on December 7th. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 26, 2019
- Oilers Pick up First Away Point of the Season against Kalamazoo, Fall in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Comeback Kids Return: 'Blades Win Shootout Thriller over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Americans Blow 3-0 Lead, Fall 4-3 to Idaho - Allen Americans
- Kalamazoo Tops Tulsa on Taylor's Overtime Goal - Kalamazoo Wings
- Durny's Strong Performance Not Enough, as Admirals Fall 3-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Solar Bears Get Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- #HopOn the Hops with $3 Beer Night Next Saturday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nell Backstops Swamp Rabbits to Weekend Sweep - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads Score Four-Straight, Overcome Deficit to Beat Americans 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Clapperton Shines as Beast Down Railers - Brampton Beast
- Stingrays Score 3 in 3rd to Take Series from Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Sweep Four-Game Homestand - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Fall 5-2 in Brampton to the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Relinquish Early Lead, Fall to Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cuddemi Keeps Offense Going in 3-1 Loss at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Fuel Split First Homestand with Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Growlers Flip Script on Mariners to Split Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Earn First Road Win of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Cyclones Earn Weekend Split with Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Roadrunners Recall Erik KÃÂllgren to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Forward Tony Calderone Joins Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Seek Revenge in Weekend Finale against Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Americans Host Idaho on Nascar Night - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 26 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals at Wheeling for 1st of 9 Battles - Reading Royals
- Power Play Shines as Walleye Fall to Mavericks - Toledo Walleye
- Dickinson Scores Twice in 4-3 Loss to the Rush - Utah Grizzlies
- Klima Ties Rush History in Home-Opening Win - Rapid City Rush
- Dickinson Scores Twice in 4-3 Loss at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Combs Nets OT Game Winner in Victory vs. Idaho - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.