McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo
MONTREAL - Multicultural night has been good to the Montreal Impact as the bleu-blanc-noir defeated the Houston Dynamo for a second straight year on the occasion, this time by a 3-0 shutout victory on Sunday night at Stade Saputo. Jack McInerney scored a brace and Di Vaio found his second of the season in the win.
The Impact came out of the gates with the same energy it showed last Wednesday in Vancouver, controlling the tempo of the game and outshooting the Orange 7-3 in the first half, resulting in two good scoring chances.
The home side pressed throughout the first half, and in the 42nd minute, Jack Mac found his first of the game when he got his head on the end of an Eric Miller cross. The American defender earned his first career point in MLS with the assist.
The second half continued in much the same fashion as the first. McInerney found his second of the game and sixth goal in 10 regular season matches since joining the Impact in the 75th minute when Justin Mapp played a cross that the American international spun and half-volleyed into the far right corner. His second on the night was also the 30th of his career, becoming just the 85th player to reach the milestone in MLS.
"It feels good to score, but all the players had to step up today, we had to get the three points," said McInerney. "I was fortunate to be on the scoring end, but our defence held them to zero and our midfield did a good job getting us the ball today."
Three minutes later, half-time substitute Marco Di Vaio put home the rebound after Andres Romero's shot was bobbled by Hall.
After 90 minutes, the Impact led the shot count 17-8 and shots on goal 8-1, and has now shutout the opposition for 225 minutes.
"A lot of credit to my players," said head coach Frank Klopas. "The attitude was very good and I think we not only scored the three goals, but I thought we created even more chances. It was also important for us not to give anything away, get the clean sheet and build from this after another good performance."
The Impact will now travel to California to take on Chivas USA next Saturday, at the Stub Hub Center, at 10:30pm EDT.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2014
- Omar Gonzalez Expects a Tough Test against Belgium - LA Galaxy
- Injury sidelines José Mari for up to a month - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Commerce City to Hold 19th Annual 4thFest on Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Partnership for Made-In-America Solar Energy Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Vicente Sánchez, the Wizard with Us - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez - Sporting Kansas City
- Fans Invited to Join Sounders FC Players and Coaches for World Cup Viewing Party Tuesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Update: New York Heads to Houston Friday - New York Red Bulls
- U.S. Look to Advance to First Quarterfinal Since 2002 - this Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy Kick off a Three-Game Home Stand against Portland - LA Galaxy
- Crew and Columbus Commons Team-Up for Viewing Party - Columbus Crew SC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for July 5 Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July - Chicago Fire FC
- Montreal Impact Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact Striker Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire Waive Giuseppe Gentile - Chicago Fire FC
- Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Mayor's Office, Broadway Media Group to Host Watch Party - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to Host World Cup Viewing Party - LA Galaxy
- Major League Soccer Names Seth Bacon Senior Vice President, Media - MLS
- Gehrig Pleased to See Both Germany, USA Advance - Columbus Crew SC
- McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal Exercises Options for 12 Players
- Djordje Mihailovic and Rudy Camacho Win Club's End-Of-Season Individual Awards
- CF Montréal to Play Home Opener March 5 at Olympic Stadium
- CF Montréal Wins Canadian Champion
- CF Montréal Hosts Toronto FC Sunday in the Canadian Championship Final